Import Data From Text Files

• Hi, I am currently developing an eCommerce system.  The data in this system is fed from our core system which is unfortunately a 16 bit Multi-valued database system.

Transactions or records are contained in delimited text files. One text file for each record.  Obviously the number of fields, etc differ bewteen the various records (tables) moving between the two databases.

Originally i wrote a windows service that read each file and imported the data using ADO command object and underlying stored procedures, but this obviously requires maintenance.

I was thinking about using dynamic SQL by manipulating the data row and executing dynamic insert statements but a bit worried about the performance and overhead of running these statements as the existing system deals with thousands of transactions every hour.

Any one have any ideas?

• I always use DTS to import data from text files (DTS can get very involved, but if all you're doing is importing all rows from a text file, the wizard will get you set up with just a few point and clicks). 

If you start out by right clicking your DB in Enterprise Manager, then select all tasks, import data.  Go through the wizard, getting the data into a staging table that you can manipulate aftwards is pretty straight forward.  Then save your DTS package to SQL and schedule it (if you want)...

-

• You're saying the format of a given text file changes a lot???  Do the text files have header information on the first line of the file?

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply