Import Word 2000 document data into SQL Server tables using XML - HOW? HELP!

• *I HOPE THIS IS IN THE RIGHT FORUM.  PLEASE MOVE IF NOT OR COPY TO PERTINANT FORUMS IF ALLOWED - THANK YOU *

OK. Thank you in advance for product suggestions, methods, ideas, etc. Real concrete working info of course would be the best.

----

I'm on a solution development team. We've captured many development documents based on single form templates, so they all look the same.

I am wanting to import all those documents into a database as cleanly as possible. I would really like to extract all the information in one swoop and populate the associated tables, normalizing everything in the process.

One solution I can think of is to create SQL statement to search for specific repeatable strings that point to the unique info I want. EXAMPLE: "First Name: " (extract everything past the string, including the space, and put that string in the database).

Is there a simple way to use XML to do this?

Thank you SO MUCH in advance.

Jim

Jim Meyer

Database Administrator

EDS, Inc.

• I believe Word 2000 cannot save documents as XML and consequently you would be unable to run the documents through any XML parser.

What you really need to do is use regular expressions.  JScript is good for this and you can either parse your documents running under windows scripting host or as an asp page.  I have used this technique in the past to scrape HTML pages.

All the best.

• Maybe it's time to upgrade your Microsoft Office to the Professional version of 2003, which does have XML capabilities.

Dana
    Connecticut, USA
    Dana

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply