Import\export wizard

• s_osborne2 (8/14/2013)

I avoid that wizard where possible if i'm honest. Glad you got the data inserted! 🙂

I will now be avoiding the wizard too!

Cheers for the help

• SQLSteve (8/14/2013)

I have just saved the file into a CSV file and ran a bulk insert and it went straight in.

I wish I knew why the export wizard didn't work though!

To know what exactly went wrong, you need to save the SSIS package and run it through the debugger.

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• SQLSteve (8/14/2013)

s_osborne2 (8/14/2013)

I avoid that wizard where possible if i'm honest. Glad you got the data inserted! 🙂

I will now be avoiding the wizard too!

Cheers for the help

I only use the wizard if I have to transfer hundreds of tables and I'm too lazy to create the data flows myself.

• I only use the wizard if I have to transfer hundreds of tables and I'm too lazy to create the data flows myself.

So i guess BIML will become your new best friend then? 😉

MCSE: Data Platform
    MCSE: Business Intelligence
    Follow me on Twitter: @WazzTheBadger
    LinkedIn Profile: Simon Osborne

• I've come across this so many times with the Import/Export wizard, because it's a very simplistic SSIS package. The import wizard scans the first few rows in the file and makes assumptions on the data type (I think it's 8 rows). So any rows that it encounters afterwards that don't conform to the data type it will either reject or convert the value to NULL instead, which then breaks the column integrity. If I HAVE to use the import wizard, I always import all columns as nvarchar to a temporary staging table, do a quick check on the data types and then import it into the real tables from there.

• Maybe I'm missing something, but doesn't all he needs to do is at the wizard screen 'Select Source Tables and View' select Edit Mappings... and change the datatype there?

• dwilander (8/15/2013)

Maybe I'm missing something, but doesn't all he needs to do is at the wizard screen 'Select Source Tables and View' select Edit Mappings... and change the datatype there?

Correct. Edit Mappings to whatever data types you need. When data type is unknown use varchar (or nvarchar as needed) into a stage table first. Fix-up the data before or during the insert into the actual destination table.

The probability of survival is inversely proportional to the angle of arrival.

• s_osborne2 (8/15/2013)

I only use the wizard if I have to transfer hundreds of tables and I'm too lazy to create the data flows myself.

So i guess BIML will become your new best friend then? 😉

Probably, I'm still learning BIML 🙂

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply