Importing data

• Hi, just started migrating from SQL Server 2000 to the free version of SQL Server 2005.

In the SQL 2000 Enterprise Manager you could simply right-click on a database and import data from external sources.

I tried right-clicking on the database in SQL 2005 Management Studio Express, but there appeared to be no option for importing data. Is this one of the limits of the free version of SQL Server 2005.

In which case how can I import my data?

One way is to just import it into SQL Server 2000, back up that database and then rsetore it into 2005. But the whole point of migrating to SQL Server 2005 is to not rely on 2000 at all.....

• Ok worked out that there is no import option in Managmenet Studio express, but you can export from other programs such as Access using a DSN.

• garethmann101 (10/29/2008)

Hi, just started migrating from SQL Server 2000 to the free version of SQL Server 2005.

In the SQL 2000 Enterprise Manager you could simply right-click on a database and import data from external sources.

I tried right-clicking on the database in SQL 2005 Management Studio Express, but there appeared to be no option for importing data. Is this one of the limits of the free version of SQL Server 2005.

In which case how can I import my data?

One way is to just import it into SQL Server 2000, back up that database and then rsetore it into 2005. But the whole point of migrating to SQL Server 2005 is to not rely on 2000 at all.....

Attach the database and set the compatibility level to sql server 2000

kshitij kumar
    kshitij@krayknot.com
    www.krayknot.com

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply