importing data from a flat file

• How do we import data from a flat file to the SQL server 2005. the files are on the c: local machine and it is a big file it can open with the note pad.it does have the delimeter (~||). and it is my first time to use the 2005 version I have been using the 2000 version and it was fine. since we upgraded, I am having difficulty.

• What difficulties are you getting?

You need to use SSMS - Right click the database in object explorer - Tasks - Import data.

Choose Flat File Source as the Data source and go with the wizard.

Are you getting problems with the various settings in the wizard or with errors during the import itself?

• Sorry I have not seen the error you give in your PM so I have quoted it here for everyone to see. I believe it indicates that you don't have a correct installation of integration services on your workstation or on the server running SQL. Someone else more knowledgable will be able to help, I'm sure.

carolkh (3/12/2009)

this is the error message I get when I Import.

and I dont know how to resolve it.

Validating (Error)

Error 0xc00470fe: Data Flow Task: The product level is insufficient for component "Source - UIF_Domestic_MAR_1" (1).

(SQL Server Import and Export Wizard)

Error 0xc00470fe: Data Flow Task: The product level is insufficient for component "Data Conversion 1" (55).

(SQL Server Import and Export Wizard)

You might look at http://blogs.msdn.com/michen/archive/2006/11/11/ssis-product-level-is-insufficient.aspx

which is dated but could help.

cheers

• Ensure that your workstation's SSMS service pack level is the same as the service pack level on your SQL Server, or you will get this error.

• I believe that if you only install the SQL Server client tools, you don't have the Integration Services on your PC. So you either need to run this on the server or set it up as a package that is then run as a job so it runs on the server.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply