Importing dBase files

• Hey Everyone,

I'm trying to import dBase 3 files in a DTS package. I have no problems when the .dbf file I'm importing has no memo (.fpt) file associated with it, but when it does I get the following error msg:

Error Source: Microsoft Jet Database Engine

Error Description: External table is not in the expected format.

Is there a way to tell SQL server to ignore the .fpt file? And if not, is there a way to import these files together with the .dbf files?

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• Are you using the Visual FoxPro ODBC driver? The ".fpt" file extension is for FoxPro memo files, not dBase III. dBase III memo files are ".dbt".

• Thanx for the reply mkeast,

I had to install the latest FoxPro ODBC Driver and then importing .dbf files that had .fpt files (some .dbf files didn't....) worked ...

• Hey Everyone,

I have a new problem now. When I run the package that imports the dBase table on the server (Windows 2000) I get the following error message:

Error Source: [Microsoft][OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers]

Error Description: [Microsoft][ODBC Visual FoxPro Driver] SourceDB

I have a feeling I have to upgrade or install the latest version of ODBC Driver on the server, but I'm not quit sure what .....Does anyone have a clue?

• You said that, initially, the import worked, but now it doesn't work. Did you create the DTS package on a client PC, then try and run it on the server?  If so, then you need to make sure that the ODBC data source definition exists on (or is accessible from) the server. Also, the path to the .dbf file must be assessible from the server.

Were there any other error messages?

Mike

p.s. We haven't used FoxPro here for several years, so I don't have any databases to test against.

• Yes, I had originally tested the package on a client...sorry for not mentioning that.

Last night we installed the latest update for the Visual FoxPro ODBC Driver on the server (the same I installed on the client) restarted the server but it still gives me the same error.

No other errors.

The .dbf files are accessible from the server (I have 3 other packages that use other .dbf files from the same directory but I'm using a dBase 3 connection - with no problems).

• I forgot to config the ODBC DSN on the server.....what a goof..

Thanx for all your help mike.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply