impossible to search "= N"

• this is both a SQL question and a general question. I have seen multiple examples in SQL BOL that use the syntax:

<some parameter> = N"<some string value>"

not knowing exaclty what the "N" is for, I tried to Search BOL for "= N". That is when I started to lose it. Every kind of search I tried either gave me a "Help is unable to search for that topic." error or ignored the "= " in my phrase. Nevermind that I didn't really need to know at that moment what this line of code did, I now must know if the Search can be done! All the Web Searches I tried with the same phrase, "= N" ignore the = as well. What does =N mean, and is it possible to search for the = character???

• Search for UNICODE. The N' is the designator for UNICODE.

-SQLBill

• Thanks Bill, I think I see what the N is for now. maybe. But now for the hard part, . How can you search for =?

• Confused here. What is your question?

Are you trying to find question mar character as in = '?'

or are you trying to find equals sign as in = '='

Far away is close at hand in the images of elsewhere.
    Anon.

• The N'string values' unicode designator means interpret the data in the string as a unicode value with explicily do the whole CAST('A' as NCHAR(1))or other type of data type conversion. It is simply a shortcut.

As for searching for '=' or '?' whichever you meant. If the datatype field you are searching in is unicode based (nchar, nvarchar, ntext, etc.) Then do N'=' or N'?' otherwise all you need is '=' or '?' nothing more.

The only special condition I am aware of is seaching for ' then you have to double the ' to ''. So a unicode value would be N'''' or non-unicode would be ''''.

• Why are you trying to search for the equal sign (=) in BOL? = is used for ASSIGNMENT and reads right to left.

A = B means "the value of B is assigned to A"

C = D + E does NOT mean C equals the value of D plus E. It means that "the value of D is added to the value of E and that value is assigned to C".

-SQLBill

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply