Inconsistent DTS error

• I have a DTS package - a simple transformation from a text file to a table - that is failing inconsistently with an incorrect message in the log file.  I have 4 similar DTS packages (identical except for the formats of the text files and tables) that are not failing.  All are executed from a VB executable.  All have been running unchanged for months.  The text file is defined as 4 columns, one copies to an integer column and is 8 digits in length, 2 are varchar and one is a date (ActiveX cdate).  The error message is saying that the date field is invalid or null.  It is neither.  There are no problems with the data, because I can execute the DTS package without error from Enterprise Manager.  The package does NOT fail every attempt.  In fact, executing with the same file does not always yield the same result.  Has anyone experienced a similar problem?  We are running SQL2000 on Windows2000.

• A place to start, you didn't mention, but I would verify that both the OS and SQl have all service packs and current updates applied, and latest version of MDAC.

Charlie,

• You might also want to check the date settings on the server.

Where, and how, does the VB executable run?

--------------------
    Colt 45 - the original point and click interface

• Thank you both for your suggestions.  We found the problem.  It turned out to be low-values in a field.  The inconsistency was that, if we opened the file and saved it, the low-values were replaced with spaces by Notepad!  Apparently, also, sometimes these low-values were not causing the DTS package to fail.  We had some cases where the file would fail once and load the next time with no alteration.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply