inconsistent of a select then update (part 2)

• ok,

I've gotten closer to the issue. In part, it is related to cache execute plan and statistics. What happened?

I have a store proc with 2 major parts within a loop in an explict TRANS block.

set transaction isolation level SERIALIZABLE ;

while (@loop>0)

begin

begin trans

with cte as(

select *

from tableA a

join tableB b

on a.id=b.id

WHERE col1=@loop <- :exclamationmark:

)

update tableA

set a.col2= 'yes'

from tableA

join cte

on a.id= cte.id

commit

end -- while loop

the query gives different count of rows being updated at different run time.

i then started doing many ... transaction isolation levels, table hints, and today, I've started...

declare @id tinyint = 0

select @id= db_id(DB_NAME())

DBCC FLUSHPROCINDB(@id);

DBCC FREEPROCCACHE;

DBCC FREESYSTEMCACHE ('ALL');

DBCC FREESESSIONCACHE ;

DBCC DROPCLEANBUFFERS ;

DROP STATISTICS StinkyDB.YuckyTable.Statsssss[1...n]

REBOOT, REBOOT, REBOOT.

Nothing improve very much, until...

I select INTO a newtablename with no index, just one cluster, no stat

In the proc, i change the tablename to newtablename.

it ran, and got the much better result (not 100% correct count, but, a 98% correct).

my question is this, what are the commands I need to deep clean all stat. i've listed those above which doesn't help much. I believe it is a stale execution plan, stat, or index issue here. But, running out of ideas.

Please help.

:crying:

• Instead of fracturing responses between threads, please post all responses here.

There really is no reason for starting a second thread for the same problem.

• Hi Lynn,

I'm sorry I started a separate thread in a different category. It was intended to broaden the scope of audience, since there is no response from the other post at the "T-SQL" thread.

Thanks for pointing out and redirect. Hopefully, it will be the good reason for getting correct result for the problem.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply