Increase error log qty from 6

• You really don't need to contact MS. The answer is 99. Matt Miller has not only documented it, he's tested it to confirm. 99 is as high as you can go, although why you would need to go beyond that just doesn't make a lick of sense.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• It's not my brilliant idea. Interesting though that why would MS provide the registry solution if increasing beyond 99 doesn't work? why would they publish this fix?

• The articles I found yesterday as to hacking the registry were for 7.0, and had a note at the top stating you should use the "official" UI way in 2005. I'm thinking it no longer applies.

Of course - you may have found something not specifically marked that way. It also wouldn't be the first time that they've published contradictory info.

Just for giggles - why DO they want that many log files for? Just want to know if they really do have a case for asking. I promise I will try really hard not to giggle (don't feel bad - I won't be laughing at you - just them :D).

And please don't say HIPAA or Sarbanes ('cause that log ain't nearly good enough for that). If that's what they were hoping to use it for, they're going to need a lot more than just that (of course - our director also thought he might get away with them as his documentation).

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply