Increase the memory of SQL Server 2005 Instance

• Guys,

How do I increase the memory of existing SQL Server 2005 instance from 2GB to 3.5GB, the Windows server has 4GB of memory.

It is 32bit server

Any suggestions and inputs would help.

Thanks

• To address more than 2GB of VAS on a 32bit server you will require the /3gb and /pae switches in your c:\boot.ini

Then enable AWE in your sql server instance.

keep in mind that with only 4GB of ram, you're not leaving much room for windows

--
    Andrew Hatfield

• On a 4 GB 32-bit server, the theoretical maximum you can get is 3 GB. For this you will need to have the /3GB switch in boot.ini.

In practice you are unlikely to get this much as other things running on the box also need memory. However, 2.5 GB should normally be achievable.

If you put more memory on the box, SQL Server can use memory above the 4GB line to hold part of the database buffer pool. There are lots of posts about how this feature works if you are interested in doing the research.

Original author: https://github.com/SQL-FineBuild/Common/wiki/ 1-click install and best practice configuration of SQL Server 2019, 2017 2016, 2014, 2012, 2008 R2, 2008 and 2005.

When I give food to the poor they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor they call me a communist - Archbishop Hélder Câmara

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply