Index Causing Deadlock on thread - HELP

• I have the following query and it will not execute with a clustered index

Select GridPoint, Convert(varchar(20), DateTime, 101) As Date, DatePart(hh, DateTime) + 1 As Hour, PriceCategory, PriceType, Price

From PriceHistory eph Join PriceHistoryLocations ephl On eph.LocationID = ephl.LocationID

Where (DateTime Between '5/1/2002' And '12/31/2003 23:00')

And eph.LocationID In (40, 41, 42, 46, 47)

Order By GridPoint, Convert(varchar(20), DateTime, 101), DatePart(hh, DateTime) + 1, PriceCategory, PriceType

I get the following error

Server: Msg 1205, Level 13, State 2, Line 1

Transaction (Process ID 58) was deadlocked on thread | communication buffer resources with another process and has been chosen as the deadlock victim. Rerun the transaction.

There is no one else in the database and every time I change the PK to be non-clustered the statement works. When I change it to clustered I get the same error.

What does this error mean? If I take the date range down it will work, just not with lots of data. I had also updated the statistics

There is about 5 million rows in the table, so I would think clustering the Primary key would be the right action, especially with the above queries.

The PriceHistory table definition is

CREATE TABLE [dbo].[PriceHistory] (

[LocationID] [int] NOT NULL ,

[DateTime] [smalldatetime] NOT NULL ,

[Price] [money] NOT NULL ,

[TimeZone] [varchar] (3) COLLATE SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS NOT NULL ,

[Version] [int] NOT NULL ,

[LastModified] [datetime] NULL ,

[LastChangedBy] [varchar] (50) COLLATE SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS NULL

) ON [PRIMARY]

GO

ALTER TABLE [dbo].[esi_PriceHistory] WITH NOCHECK ADD

CONSTRAINT [PK_esi_PriceHistory] PRIMARY KEY  CLUSTERED

([LocationID], [DateTime]) WITH  FILLFACTOR = 80  ON [PRIMARY]

GO

ALTER TABLE [dbo].[esi_PriceHistory] ADD

CONSTRAINT [FK_esi_PriceHistory_esi_PriceHistoryLocations] FOREIGN KEY

([LocationID]) REFERENCES [dbo].[esi_PriceHistoryLocations] ([LocationID])

GO

Any suggestions???

• maybe change to specifically mention "inner join" in the query?

Not sure, this is a strange one.

• Do you have more then one processor at this server ? If so, may be the optimizer choose paralelism to resolve the query. If that´s true, try to rewrite the query especifiing the hint (MAXDOP=1). I´ve already have problems with deadlocks in queries that use parelelism for execution, and I solve with this trick. 

• psribeiro, you nailed it

I added the OPTION MAXDOP=1 to my query and it no longer used parralelism in the estimated execution plan and the query worked bringing back a large amount of data, which was the problem.

Thanks a lot

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply