Index Tuning Wizard not reading profile

• Help!

I often use the SQL profiler with just the standard template to snapshot periods of the day when I know there is going to be high activity or problems.

I've always been able to read the resulting file into the Index Tuning Wizard and have it analyse it for me.

However, recently, I continually get the message

'There are no events in the workload. Either the trace fiel contained no SQL batch or RPC events or the SQL script contained no queries.'

I've reloaded the file into the profiler and the queries are there, against the correct database, but the wizard still won't analyse it.

This is happening every time now.

Help!

---------------------------------------
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
    It is by the Beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed,
    the hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning.

• Couple of things, What version and SP revision of SQL are you running? Check out [urlhttp://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q203777[/url] . And finally if that doesn't help try reinstalling just the client tools, may have a corruption in a file or the registry related to a component file.

"Don't roll your eyes at me. I will tape them in place." (Teacher on Boston Public)

• I'm using SQL Server 2000

I have tried uninstalling the client tools and reinstalling them, installed SP2 on the server and client tools, and in desperation, put a new OS on, client tools, SP2 and still the problem occurs.

• Are their any strange characters in the database name or table name? ALso try creating a very small 2 or three query with SQL STMT completed and see if you get the same problem.

"Don't roll your eyes at me. I will tape them in place." (Teacher on Boston Public)

• Nope, I've ensured that all table and field names are fully compliant, no odd characters, no spaces, etc.

If I run small profile captures of say 1-2 minutes, they work perfectly.

If I run anything for about 30mins to an hour to capture traffic, the problem appears.

I even thought, as the tuning wizard extracts 200 statements at rendom, that it may be selecting 200 entries that weren't SQL statements and forced it to process the entire file, but the error still occurs.

It's driving me crackers as I actually need to run the profile for a day just to prove that SQL indexes are tuned as best they can be, and then harvest statistics such as average query times, etc. for the board.

The latter part I can do from the resulting file, but I still need to index tuner to recognise the damn thing!

In a word - AAARRRGGGH!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply