Index Usage

• Is there a way to determine when the last time an Index was used in a query plan. We have numerous Indexes that nobody is sure if they are being used or not and I would like to delete them.

- Vega

- Vega

• My suggestion would be to run a Profile trace and then run that captured workload through the Index Tuning wizard to obtain it's recommendation. That's the most efficient manner in which to determine obsolete indexes that are unused by the Query Optimizer that I'm aware of.

David R Buckingham, MCDBA,MCSA,MCP

• I believe exactly what DRB told. Using Profiler is the best way to trace the indexes usage. But there would be some performance decrease also, if U use Profiler.

madhusudannaidugundapaneni

Madhu

• I was really hoping for a better way then this. Oracle has a way to turn on detailed statistics to gather this type of info and I was hoping MS SQL did as well, maybe in '03. We have hundreds of tables and indexes and this way is extremly time consuming. I guess another way is to analyze each application and go from there. This is a perfect case for doing things right the first time! I only wish I was here when this whole mess began, oh well, keeps me busy. Thanks for your input and if I find a better way, I'll post it back here.

- Vega

- Vega

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply