Indexed view or Flat table

• Summary:

I have multiple tables...with good amount of data and it will definetly grow after every 3 months...as they are duplicated based on quarter. The old quarter data will never change but new quarter data may or may not be changed. but we are reading from all quarter data.

We have a reporting database seperately which is only used for reading purpose.

Actual question:

Can somebody suggest me which one is better approach for reporting database....Indexed view or Flat table or other option ?

Technology/Platform:

SQL Server 2005

ASP.net 3.5

Win 2003

IIS 6.0

• Hi,

Your reporting requirements will determine how you configure your reporting database. Your question can't really be answered here as we don't have enough information on your requirements.

From a personal point of view I don't like using indexed views. I would prefer to use SSIS to extract the required data from the production database and insert it into the reporting database. From there the world is your oyster, you can create cubes or tables to support your reports.

🙂

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Struggling to find the question?
    http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/jeffs/archive/2008/05/13/question-needed-not-answer.aspx

• WilliamBendall (1/14/2010)

Hi,

Your reporting requirements will determine how you configure your reporting database. Your question can't really be answered here as we don't have enough information on your requirements.

From a personal point of view I don't like using indexed views. I would prefer to use SSIS to extract the required data from the production database and insert it into the reporting database. From there the world is your oyster, you can create cubes or tables to support your reports.

🙂

Since you are already dumping it to a "Reporting" database, I think William has a good suggestion. Create a flat table and index it heavily. Consider it your datawarehouse and not your OLTP database. Of course, nothing better than testing multiple configurations to find which config works best for you.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Thanks for your suggestions....

Can you people provide me some refernce...

It is also great if somebody give lights on cube

• Ather M (1/14/2010)

Thanks for your suggestions....

Can you people provide me some refernce...

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc719165.aspx

It is also great if somebody give lights on cube

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc966399.aspx

Learn Extended Events

• With so little to go on my gut says this is a case for a star schema and proper OLAP constructs.

I will add that if you really want good usability/functionality/performance you really need to get a professional data warehousing expert on board since you know very little about the topic. Even a short period of design/dev/implementation guidance and mentoring will pay big dividends.

Best,
    Kevin G. Boles
    SQL Server Consultant
    SQL MVP 2007-2012
    TheSQLGuru on googles mail service

• Ton of thanks to all of you for your replies.....

• You're welcome.

Learn Extended Events

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply