Indexing and TransLog

• I am having weird problem.

First I tried to DBCC REINDEX on some large table and it runs and stops with Trans Log full. I increased the size of the log and it does it again.

Second Problem..I backup the log and set the LOG limit to 7000 MB. After a while I run the SP_SPACEUSED and it tells limit is 1500 MB..why it is decreasing even when I have set the limit. FYI It is not set to autogrow.

How can I complete the REINDEX job without being logs getting filled??

Dire need of help....Production system needs performance.

Thanks

TB

Tajammal Butt

• Did you look in Enterprise Manager,taskpad of the db and see what it shows there ?

• This command is your new best friend

DBCC UPDATEUSAGE (DbName)

Then refresh the data displayed in EM (you MUST manually hit a refresh button for this change to show up in EM).

• I do not normally let my databases autogrow. I do, however, set the database to autogrow and set it to a low fixed amount, not percentage. This will get you through any emergencies. Reindexes do use the tranlog heavily and since these are run after hours I do not worry when they cause the tranlog to grow, I would rather have it autogrow then have everything stop. I just shrink the tranlog back to its normal size when I am done. 

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply