Informix DB.

• Hi, I have just started as a DBA and have a financial system on a Informix DB which is on a linux box. I would like a few pointers on the structure and how to navigate around an Informix DB and some maintenance tips.

cheers

• g_harrow,

Informix DB is made by IBM and is not a MS SQL Server product.

I found this link this could help you

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/idshelp/v10/index.jsp?topic=/com.ibm.dba.doc/dba.htm

• Informix is all configuration file driven, go gui's. You need to get your hands on a good manual. There documentation was great. Another difference between sql and informix is raw data storage. Informix for performance reasons can take a raw file system and manage it without the operating system getting involved. Pretty cool, slightly more complicated. As a new dba, focus on making sure you understand the backup and restore process for the database. This should be your first task. Informix used to send both hard and soft copies of all manuals, so there should be some around somewhere.

Hope that helps....

• Its a place to start and there are quite a few manuals, thanks. Also i didn't know this was a SQL server site, forgive my intrusion.

• Informix, will run on either "raw" or "file" disk, to access the command prompt of IDS use "dbaccess", from there it is a menu. Based on you environment settings for IDS you should find a configuration file under $INFORMIXDIR/etc (will be what ever is call in you env settings $SYSCONFIG). As the other members have mentioned would be best to check out the IBM site or the IIUG.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply