"Input string not in a correct format"

• [rsRuntimeErrorInExpression] The Value expression for the textbox ‘Calc’ contains an error: Input string was not in a correct format.

Why is this code to populate the textbox getting that error:

=IIf(ReportItems!LocalBallots.Value<>"" AND ReportItems!CountyBallots.Value<>"" AND ReportItems!CountyBallots.Value<>"0" AND ReportItems!CountyBilling2.Value<>"",ReportItems!CountyBilling2.Value*2,"")

The problem is the multiplication sign -- *. If I take out the "*2", it works.

But I NEED to multiply it by two. What gives -- why is this wrong?

(I also tried converting it to double using CDbl -- but that in itself gets the same error, even if I take out the *2.)

• Do you have a NULL? Check for NULL using Dataset!Field.Value Is Nothing. I'd do this in your case:

=IIF(LEN((ReportItems!LocalBallots.Value &

ReportItems!CountyBallots.Value & ReportItems!CountyBilling2.Value).ToString().Trim) <> 0 AND

ReportItems!CountyBallots.Value<>"0", ReportItems!CountyBilling2.Value*2, "")

Jack Corbett
    Consultant - Straight Path Solutions
    Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
    Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question

• I discovered that IIf statements always evaluate all paths, even if a path is not going to be executed. So even though I check to see if a field is blank, it still tries to multiply the value by 2, even though that path will not be executed.

I discovered also that there is a Switch statement allowed in RS, so I am going to give that a try and see if it will work better.

• Interesting find. I knew about switch, but I really dislike the syntax in SSRS.

Jack Corbett
    Consultant - Straight Path Solutions
    Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
    Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply