Insane sized tran log backups are filling up the disk.

• Lynn Pettis (8/21/2012)

durai nagarajan (8/21/2012)

In that case he has not scheduled Tlog backup from 6:00PM to 10:00PM which in turn might leave him in data loss incase of disaster.

with full backup and next day TLog are you saying that sql engine will restore only the required details from log and not all the details from the TLog if it is restored?.

Not sure what you are trying to say here.

if we restore full backup and first TLOG on next day, are you saying that tlog will restore the details which is not available in the fullbackup?

Regards
    Durai Nagarajan

• Lynn Pettis (8/21/2012)

MegaDBA (8/21/2012)

I would increase the time you take a log backup to let's say every 30 mins. And as Scott said, you should set the tLogs to grow in MB as oppossed to a percentage.

I will agree with changing the t-log to grow at a set size, but I would also size the t-log to a size that holds all the normal transaction activity plus a safety margin for unusual activity. Every time you wait for the log file to grow and initialize you are impacting server performance.

What Lynn said. I realized after I posted my comment that the sizes didn't make sense. It has an initial size of 29 gigs, right? But from you're screen shots, it looks like the backups are varying in size around 6-10 gigs. That doesn't make sense unless compression is in play here.

Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply