INsert 0 instead of NULL

•  

I am trying to insert 0 into target table. The source table contains NULL value and the script stops its execution when it hits NULL . I am trying to do the following

strSql11=" insert into TempItem (intId,intWebId, intDataType, intNavid ) values (" & intId & ",  " & intWebId & ", " & intDataType & ", IsEmpty(" & intNavId & ",0) ) "

Also I tryed to do

CASE WHEN " & intNAVid & " is NULL THEN 0 ELSE " & intNavID & "

But neither one of the working

Kindest Regards,

Web programmer

• I assume that data already exists in the table so you must use and update statement not an insert statement.  For example:

update t

set intNavId = 0

from TempItem t

where intNavId is null

For new entries you might want to put a default on the table of 0

Good Luck

• I can not update the data. I have to copy the data as is. The only thing I can do is to change NULL value to 0

Kindest Regards,

Web programmer

• the solution is following

if isNULL (intNavId) or isNULL(intSubID) or isNULL (intTAbid) or isNULL(intOrder) Then

intNavId="NULL"

intSubID="NULL"

intTAbid="NULL"

intOrder="NULL"

else

intNavid= rs.Fields("intNavId").value

intSubID=rs.Fields("intSubID").value

intTAbid=rs.Fields("intTAbid").Value

intOrder=rs.Fields("intOrder").Value

end if

Dim strSql11

strSql11=" insert into TempItem (intId,intWebId, intDataType, intNavid , intSubID, intTAbid, intOrder) values (" & intId & ", " & intWebId & ", " & intDataType & ", " & intNavId & ", " & intSubID & ", " & intTAbid & ", " & intOrder & ") "

Kindest Regards,

Web programmer

• strSql11=" insert into TempItem (intId,intWebId, intDataType, intNavid ) values (coalesce(" & intId & ",0), coalesce(" & intWebId & ",0), coalesce(" & intDataType & ",0), coalesce(" & intNavId & ",0) ) "

• MY solution is working Thanks everybody for your responses

Kindest Regards,

Web programmer

• you ought to read about coalesce.  it's very useful for handling nulls as it can take mupltiple args.  That is:

select coalesce(col1, col2, col3, col4, ...) from mytable

will return the value of the first column listed that is not null.

---------------------------------------
    elsasoft.org

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply