INSERT Fails with a Default Value

• Hey everyone, I am having some trouble here with an INSERT statement. I know it has to be something simple I am overlooking, or by brain is just on vacation today. I am trying to insert on a column that does not allow NULLS, the default value for this column is 'n/a'.

Here is my table:

[font="Courier New"]CREATE TABLE [dbo].[TableA](

[ID] [int] IDENTITY(1,1) NOT NULL,

[Col1] [nvarchar](5) NOT NULL CONSTRAINT [DF_TableA_Col1] DEFAULT ('unknown'),

[Col2] [nvarchar](5) NOT NULL CONSTRAINT [DF_TableA_Col1] DEFAULT ('unknown'),

[Col3] [nvarchar](5) NOT NULL CONSTRAINT [DF_TableA_Col1] DEFAULT ('unknown')

)[/font]

Here is my insert statement:

[font="Courier New"]INSERT INTO [dbo].[TableA]

([Col1],

[Col2],

[Col3])

SELECT

[Col1],

[Col2],

[Col3]

FROM [dbo].[TableB];[/font]

Note: Column 2 of Table B is NULL.

This is the error message:

Msg 515, Level 16, State 2, Line 1

Cannot insert the value NULL into column 'Col2', table 'MyDb.dbo.TableA'; column does not allow nulls. INSERT fails.

I am prepared to be embarrassed here. What I am doing wrong? Thanks in advanced.

Regards,

Jon

• [Col2] [nvarchar](5) NOT NULL CONSTRAINT [DF_TableA_Col1] DEFAULT ('unknown'),

You're trying to insert NULLS into a column that does not allow NULLS

You could add:

WHERE TableB.Col2 is not null

same for Col1 & Col3

• Or you could use COALESCE

INSERT INTO [dbo].[TableA]

([Col1],

[Col2],

[Col3])

SELECT

COALESCE([Col1],'unknown'),

COALESCE([Col2],'unknown'),

COALESCE([Col3],'unkown'

FROM [dbo].[TableB];

If you're using the VALUES statement on insert, you can use the default value:

VALUES

(DEFAULT,

'Something',

'Something)

But if you really wanted the defaults to kick in, you need to not refer to the columns at all:

([Col1])

SELECT

[Col1]

FROM [dbo].[TableB];

But if you refer to the columns directly, you need to deal with the values going in.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Dear whats you are doing you are inserting null values from table b to tableA col1 which is not allow you to insert null values if you want to insert default you should leave the column while inserting data in it.

or make a trigger before creating a trigger you should change null property of col1 table1.It is not posible that you explicit inserting a values to the column and it use default for it.

**if you are trying to insert default value in this table it whould be throw error becouse col1 accept only 5 charector where default value is more than 5('unknown')

change the structure of table too.

A.

([Col2],

[Col3])

SELECT

[Col2],

[Col3]

FROM [dbo].[TableB];

for this solution remove null propery from tableA col1 and use this trigger.

B.

CREATE TABLE [dbo].[TableA](

[ID] [int] IDENTITY(1,1) NOT NULL,

[Col1] [nvarchar](7) CONSTRAINT [DF_TableA_Col111] DEFAULT ('unknown'),

[Col2] [nvarchar](5) NOT NULL CONSTRAINT [DF_TableA_Col222] DEFAULT ('unknown'),

[Col3] [nvarchar](5) NOT NULL CONSTRAINT [DF_TableA_Col333] DEFAULT ('unknown')

)

create trigger trginserttableA

on tableA

after insert

as

begin

declare @data varchar(7),@id int

select @data=col1,@id=id from inserted

select * from inserted

if(@data is null)

begin

update tablea

set col1='Unknown'

where id=@id

end

end

INSERT INTO [dbo].[TableA1]

([Col1],

[Col2],

[Col3])

SELECT

[Col1],

[Col2],

[Col3]

FROM [dbo].[TableB];

check the result:----

select * from tablea1

B is the propre solution for you where you can use original value from tableB and unknown for record which is null.

• Thank you all. I finally got some sleep after a couple of all-nighters. It's amazing how you over look rather simple things with a lack of sleep. Your suggestions worked and got me back on track. Thanks again - Jon.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply