INSERT statement

• Hi,

I have a table which holds the status of peoples orders. It holds information on order_id, order_status, order_desc, letter.

A letter is automatically printed for each of the different statuses. However for one of the statuses 'Dispatched' i need two different letters to be printed.

So far i have done

insert into order_status (order_id,order_status,

order_desc, letter) values('025', 'Dispatched', 'Black tailored coat ','DPT notification');

This prints the DPT notification fine but i need another letter to print along with this. How can I insert two values into the same field?

The letters are stored in the sys_docs table.

It would be helpful if anyone has any ideas on how to do this!

Thanks.

• New letter, new row:

INSERT INTO order_status (order_id,order_status, order_desc, letter)

VALUES

('025', 'Dispatched', 'Black tailored coat ','DPT notification'),

('025', 'Dispatched second notification', 'Black tailored coat ','DPT2 notification');

You may need to change your data types and primary key constraint to do this, but it's the right way of doing it.

John

• Thanks for your help.

I have tried this. However when the status is 'dispatched' i need the two letters to print together.

Doing it this way means to print the second letter the status has to be 'Dispatched second notification'.

Is there a way i can make them both print when the status is dispatched?

Thanks.

• I take it you have a table called Status or something like that, to which the main table has a foreign key constraint? That table would contain values such as Received, Processed, Packed, Dispatched. I would create a new table called StatusLetters, with a foreign key constraint to Status, something like this:

Status~Letter

Received~Receipt Notification

Processed~Process Notification

Packed~Pack Notification

Dispatched~Dispatch Notification 1

Dispatched~Dispatch Notification 2

John

• I'm guessing the printing is initiated by a trigger? In that case include a condition inside the trigger which initiates the printing of a second letter in cases where the status is 'dispatched'.

Or, if it's an application loading the content of the table, change the application code.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply