Inserting Datetime field into a update statement to update a nvarchar field

• I have a field named earlyLate in table time which has to be updated with earlytime and latetime whihc are part of the same table but have a datetime dataype. so i tried this

Table name

"Time"

earlytime (datetime)

Latetime (datetime)

earlyLate nvarchar (max)

What i am trying to do:

update Time

where earlyLate = 'the earliest time this can be completed is' + earlytime + 'and the latetst time this can be completed is' + latetime. + 'Please follow the early late time and complete the task accordingly'

and got an error as

Msg 241, Level 16, State 1, Line 1

Conversion failed when converting datetime from character string.

how can i incorporate the datetime fields ( earlytime and latetime columns into the earlyLate column) in this update statement and insert it into the nvarchar field.

• I simply had to add the statement CAST and convert the datatype into nvarchar and it did the trick

update Time

where earlyLate = 'the earliest time this can be completed is' + CAST (earlytime as nvarchar(4000)) + 'and the latetst time this can be completed is' + CAST (latetime as nvarchar(4000)) + 'Please follow the early late time and complete the task accordingly'

• Good. As a side bar, though, I wouldn't store the calculated column as a VARCHAR(MAX) because the full message is only required at display time.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• did the same only a couple of days ago, CAST worked a doddle

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply