Inserting records from one table into many tables

• Can someone post the basic syntax for inserting data from 1 table into multiple tables? Here's what I have so far just to give you an idea so far.

INSERT INTO

[interval.dbo.datetime], [location.dbo.pop], [location.dbo.ipaddress], [params.dbo.valid], [params.dbo.service], [params.dbo.host],

[params.dbo.target], [params.dbo.transid], [stats.dbo.avail], [stats.dbo.value1], [stats.dbo.value2], [stats.dbo.resp], [stats.dbo.size], [stats.dbo.tput]

SELECT datetime, customer, ipaddr, valid, probename, host, target, transid, availability, metric_1, metric_2, metric_5, transfertput

FROM vwOvis

Thanks guys!

- JH

- JH

• Not sure why you want to copy same data into multiple. But have you look into the WHILE statement?

thanks

• I'm seperating the columns out due to the size of the database. This is more of a data warehouse than anything else. I'm not sure how to join the tables together when inserting the data. I've been browsing through the BOL, but haven't found anything yet.

- JH

- JH

• I think you're out of luck trying to INSERT to multiple tables. Even if it were defined as a view it would not be an "updatable" view because of the multiple base tables involved.

A couple of options are a) a stored procedure that does multiple inserts b) an INSTEAD OF trigger

Cheers,

- Mark

Cheers,
    - Mark

• quote:

I think you're out of luck trying to INSERT to multiple tables. Even if it were defined as a view it would not be an "updatable" view because of the multiple base tables involved.

A couple of options are a) a stored procedure that does multiple inserts b) an INSTEAD OF trigger

Cheers,

- Mark

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply