Inserting summarized data

• GSquared (8/16/2011)

nadabadan (8/15/2011)

troe_atl (8/15/2011)

As for nadabadan your response was awful. I don’t expect you to read my mind and I didn’t need or want your rude response. There are comments in the code so anyone that knows a little about T-SQL could have figured it out. Next time keep your useless comments to yourself and try to be more professional when posting responses.

There is nothing advanced or difficult about the T-SQL in your stored procedure. Basic garden variety junk someone with a month's knowledge of T-SQL put together. Also, the comments in the code are useless. It's so useless, your procedure would be better without them.

Instead of arguing with me, next time take some time and effort to frame the question properly. Maybe that way, you'll get an answer. Put yourself in our position and ask yourself what others who are trying to answer your question would need. After all, we are trying to help you do the job you obviously are not smart enough to do. In fine, take some of your advice and be more professional when posting questions.

The above post has been reported to forum moderators. Please ignore it till they have had a chance to review it against forum posting policies.

Hey genius. Did you bother to read the thread.

The question was

I have a store procedure that has a summary query that return 4 rows but only inserts 2 rows into my table. Please take a look at the code below and tell me what I am doing wrong.

And I answered it with

I see two inserts into PLT_DBOH_DATA..gltrxdet

I see one insert into PLT_DBOH_DATA..gltrx_all

What have you contributed other than being a little snitch.

• And what exactly did you contribute? A lot of arrogance and confrontational nonsense.

Here is your post with all of the arrogant and non contributing drivel strikethrough

There is nothing advanced or difficult about the T-SQL in your stored procedure. Basic garden variety junk someone with a month's knowledge of T-SQL put together. Also, the comments in the code are useless. It's so useless, your procedure would be better without them.

Instead of arguing with me, next time take some time and effort to frame the question properly. Maybe that way, you'll get an answer. Put yourself in our position and ask yourself what others who are trying to answer your question would need. After all, we are trying to help you do the job you obviously are not smart enough to do. In fine, take some of your advice and be more professional when posting questions.

Nobody wants to be a snitch as you say but this forum is about helping people not putting them down because they are not as smart as you perceive yourself to be. You claim the OP was not professional but your responses were childish at best and nowhere near professional. Truly the epitome of the pot calling the kettle black. I actually agree with most of the things you said but the way you said them was aggressive and condescending.

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Modens splitter http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Tally+Table/72993/.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL/63681/
    Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Crosstab/65048/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69953/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69954/

• Sean Lange (8/17/2011)

And what exactly did you contribute? A lot of arrogance and confrontational nonsense.

Here is your post with all of the arrogant and non contributing drivel strikethrough

Nobody wants to be a snitch as you say but this forum is about helping people not putting them down because they are not as smart as you perceive yourself to be. You claim the OP was not professional but your responses were childish at best and nowhere near professional. Truly the epitome of the pot calling the kettle black. I actually agree with most of the things you said but the way you said them was aggressive and condescending.

And here is the OP's comment, you know what my "drivel" was in response to.

As for nadabadan your response was awful. I don’t expect you to read my mind and I didn’t need or want your rude response. There are comments in the code so anyone that knows a little about T-SQL could have figured it out. Next time keep your useless comments to yourself and try to be more professional when posting responses.

Way to selectively quote a post. My "drivel" was in response to another drivel -> from the OP : "There are comments in the code so anyone that knows a little about T-SQL could have figured it out." Talk about aggressive and condescending. I don't perceive myself to be "smart". But I can see when someone has put little to no effort into framing their question and no effort into solving their own question. As for GSquared, the guy contributed nothing. All he does is harass other people who are at least trying to be helpful. I bet that the next time troe_atl posts here, he'll write a better post. That's how we improve. Coddling people doesn't work. As for what I contributed. I ANSWERED the OP's question. And I can't think of anything more unprofessional and impolite than snitching.

• I finally got the procedure to do what I wanted it to do. The modified procedure is listed below. Special thanks to all that contributed!!

USE [ISPurchasing]

GO

/****** Object: StoredProcedure [dbo].[cust_CreateJournalEntry] Script Date: 08/17/2011 13:37:15 ******/

SET ANSI_NULLS ON

GO

SET QUOTED_IDENTIFIER ON

GO

ALTER PROCEDURE [dbo].[cust_CreateJournalEntry]

@PO_NUMBER VARCHAR(10)

AS

DECLARE @OrderID Varchar(16)

DECLARE @ExtendedPrice MONEY

DECLARE @rate_type_home VARCHAR(8)

DECLARE @rate_type_oper VARCHAR(8)

DECLARE @home_currency VARCHAR(8)

DECLARE @oper_currency VARCHAR(8)

DECLARE @company_code VARCHAR(8)

DECLARE @org_id VARCHAR(30)

DECLARE @company_id VARCHAR(30)

DECLARE @next_num VARCHAR(16)

DECLARE @date INT

DECLARE @account VARCHAR(10)

DECLARE @BudgetUnit VARCHAR(10)

DECLARE @AccountCode VARCHAR(20)

DECLARE @ShortDescription VARCHAR(16)

DECLARE @VendorName VARCHAR(40)

DECLARE @SequenceID INT

SET @SequenceID = 0

SELECT

@rate_type_home = rate_type_home, --Get rate type home

@rate_type_oper = rate_type_oper, --Get rate type oper

@home_currency = home_currency, --Get Home Currency

@oper_currency = oper_currency, --Get Oper Currency

@company_code = company_code, --Get Company_Code

@company_id = company_id --Get Company Id

FROM PLT_DBOH_DATA..glco

--get the Org_id

SELECT TOP 1 @org_id = org_id FROM PLT_DBOH_DATA..smspiduser_vw spid WHERE global_user = 1

--Obtain the next control number

SELECT @next_num = SUBSTRING(jrnl_ctrl_code_mask,1,12-(SELECT LEN(next_jrnl_ctrl_code) from PLT_DBOH_DATA..glnumber)) + CAST(next_jrnl_ctrl_code as varchar(16)) FROM PLT_DBOH_DATA..glnumber

--and prepare the next

UPDATE PLT_DBOH_DATA..glnumber SET next_jrnl_ctrl_code = next_jrnl_ctrl_code + 1

--Get julian date

SELECT @date = DATEDIFF(dd, '1/1/1980', GETDATE()) + 722815 --today

IF(@org_id IS NULL OR @org_id = '')

SET @org_id = 'DBOH'

SELECT @OrderID = REQ.RequisitionNumber,

@VendorName = REQ.SupplierName

FROM Requisition REQ

WHERE REQ.POID = @PO_NUMBER

INSERT INTO PLT_DBOH_DATA..gltrx_all(journal_type,journal_ctrl_num,journal_description,date_entered,date_applied,recurring_flag,repeating_flag,reversing_flag,hold_flag,

posted_flag,date_posted,source_batch_code,batch_code,type_flag,intercompany_flag,company_code,app_id,home_cur_code,document_1,trx_type,

user_id,source_company_code,process_group_num,oper_cur_code,org_id,interbranch_flag)

VALUES('PO', @next_num, 'From ISPurchasing PO: '+ @PO_NUMBER,@date,@date,0,0,0,0,0,0,'','',0,0,@company_code,6000,@home_currency,'',111,7,@company_code,'',@oper_currency,@org_id,0)

DECLARE CUR CURSOR FOR

SELECT BudgetUnit,

POChartOfAccount,

'Encumbrance',

SUM(UnitPrice * UnitsOrdered)

FROM Requisition AS Requisition_1

INNER JOIN ((PurchaseOrder

INNER JOIN Requisition ON PurchaseOrder.POID = Requisition.POID)

INNER JOIN RequisitionLineItems

ON Requisition.RequisitionNumber = RequisitionLineItems.RequisitionNumber)

ON Requisition_1.RequisitionNumber = RequisitionLineItems.RequisitionNumber

WHERE PurchaseOrder.POID = @PO_NUMBER

GROUP BY PurchaseOrder.POID,POChartOfAccount,BudgetUnit

OPEN CUR

FETCH NEXT FROM CUR INTO @BudgetUnit,@Account,@ShortDescription, @ExtendedPrice

WHILE @@FETCH_STATUS <> -1

BEGIN

IF (@@FETCH_STATUS <> -2)

BEGIN

----GET COMPLETE ACCOUNT CODE FOR JOURNAL ENTRY

SET @AccountCode = @account + @BudgetUnit

--INCREMENT SEQUENCE

SET @SequenceID =@SequenceID + 1

INSERT INTO PLT_DBOH_DATA..gltrxdet(journal_ctrl_num,sequence_id,rec_company_code,company_id,account_code,description,document_1,document_2,reference_code,balance,nat_balance,

nat_cur_code,rate,posted_flag,date_posted,trx_type,offset_flag,seg1_code,seg2_code,seg3_code,seg4_code,seq_ref_id,balance_oper,rate_oper,

rate_type_home,rate_type_oper,org_id)

VALUES(@next_num, @SequenceID, @company_code, @company_id, @AccountCode, SUBSTRING(@PO_NUMBER + ' | ' + @VendorName,1,255),@ShortDescription, CONVERT(VARCHAR(16), ''),'', @ExtendedPrice, @ExtendedPrice,'USD',1,0,0,111,0, @account, @BudgetUnit,'','',0, @ExtendedPrice,1,@rate_type_home,@rate_type_oper,@org_id)

--INCREMENT SEQUENCE

INSERT INTO PLT_DBOH_DATA..gltrxdet(journal_ctrl_num,sequence_id,rec_company_code,company_id,account_code,description,document_1,document_2,reference_code,balance,nat_balance,

nat_cur_code,rate,posted_flag,date_posted,trx_type,offset_flag,seg1_code,seg2_code,seg3_code,seg4_code,seq_ref_id,balance_oper,rate_oper,

VALUES(@next_num, @SequenceID ,@company_code, @company_id, '2700000', SUBSTRING(@PO_NUMBER + ' | ' + @VendorName,1,255),@ShortDescription, CONVERT(VARCHAR(16), ''),'', (@ExtendedPrice)*-1, (@ExtendedPrice)*-1,'USD',1,0,0,111,0, '2700', '000','','',0, (@ExtendedPrice)-1,1,@rate_type_home,@rate_type_oper,@org_id)

FETCH NEXT FROM CUR INTO @BudgetUnit, @account, @ShortDescription, @ExtendedPrice

END

END

CLOSE CUR

DEALLOCATE CUR

• Oh man you so don't want to use a cursor here. I am pretty swamped at the moment but I can help later today if nobody else jumps in.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Modens splitter http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Tally+Table/72993/.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL/63681/
    Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Crosstab/65048/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69953/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69954/

• One thing at a time, you don't want a sub select here

SELECT @next_num = SUBSTRING(jrnl_ctrl_code_mask,1,12-(SELECT LEN(next_jrnl_ctrl_code) from PLT_DBOH_DATA..glnumber)) + CAST(next_jrnl_ctrl_code as varchar(16)) FROM PLT_DBOH_DATA..glnumber

In fact, it's only not erroring because there is only one row in the table. Since the fields come from the same table, you can write this as

SELECT @next_num = SUBSTRING(jrnl_ctrl_code_mask,1,12-LEN(next_jrnl_ctrl_code)) + CAST(next_jrnl_ctrl_code as varchar(16)) FROM PLT_DBOH_DATA..glnumber

______________________________________________________________________________
    How I want a drink, alcoholic of course, after the heavy lectures involving quantum mechanics.

• Uh oh. I thought I was done! The cursor was the only way I was able to get it to work the way I needed it to but if that will cause problems, your help with this will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again for your help.

USE [ISPurchasing]

GO

/****** Object: StoredProcedure [dbo].[cust_CreateJournalEntry] Script Date: 08/17/2011 13:37:15 ******/

SET ANSI_NULLS ON

GO

SET QUOTED_IDENTIFIER ON

GO

@PO_NUMBER VARCHAR(10)

AS

DECLARE @ExtendedPrice MONEY

DECLARE @date INT

DECLARE @account VARCHAR(10)

DECLARE @BudgetUnit VARCHAR(10)

DECLARE @AccountCode VARCHAR(20)

DECLARE @ShortDescription VARCHAR(16)

DECLARE @SequenceID INT

SET @SequenceID = 0

SELECT

FROM PLT_DBOH_DATA..glco

--get the Org_id

SELECT TOP 1 @org_id = org_id FROM PLT_DBOH_DATA..smspiduser_vw spid WHERE global_user = 1

--and prepare the next

UPDATE PLT_DBOH_DATA..glnumber SET next_jrnl_ctrl_code = next_jrnl_ctrl_code + 1

--Get julian date

SET @org_id = 'DBOH'

FROM Requisition REQ

INSERT INTO PLT_DBOH_DATA..gltrx_all(journal_type,journal_ctrl_num,journal_description,date_entered,date_applied,recurring_flag,repeating_flag,reversing_flag,hold_flag,

posted_flag,date_posted,source_batch_code,batch_code,type_flag,intercompany_flag,company_code,app_id,home_cur_code,document_1,trx_type,

user_id,source_company_code,process_group_num,oper_cur_code,org_id,interbranch_flag)

VALUES('PO', @next_num, 'From ISPurchasing PO: '+ @PO_NUMBER,@date,@date,0,0,0,0,0,0,'','',0,0,@company_code,6000,@home_currency,'',111,7,@company_code,'',@oper_currency,@org_id,0)

DECLARE CUR CURSOR FOR

SELECT BudgetUnit,

POChartOfAccount,

'Encumbrance',

OPEN CUR

BEGIN

BEGIN

--INCREMENT SEQUENCE

VALUES(@next_num, @SequenceID, @company_code, @company_id, @AccountCode, SUBSTRING(@PO_NUMBER + ' | ' + @VendorName,1,255),@ShortDescription, CONVERT(VARCHAR(16), ''),'', @ExtendedPrice, @ExtendedPrice,'USD',1,0,0,111,0, @account, @BudgetUnit,'','',0, @ExtendedPrice,1,@rate_type_home,@rate_type_oper,@org_id)

--INCREMENT SEQUENCE

VALUES(@next_num, @SequenceID ,@company_code, @company_id, '2700000', SUBSTRING(@PO_NUMBER + ' | ' + @VendorName,1,255),@ShortDescription, CONVERT(VARCHAR(16), ''),'', (@ExtendedPrice)*-1, (@ExtendedPrice)*-1,'USD',1,0,0,111,0, '2700', '000','','',0, (@ExtendedPrice)-1,1,@rate_type_home,@rate_type_oper,@org_id)

FETCH NEXT FROM CUR INTO @BudgetUnit, @account, @ShortDescription, @ExtendedPrice

END

END

CLOSE CUR

DEALLOCATE CUR

• Oh my!!! There is so much inefficient and not accurate code in here.

Let's start here.

SELECT

FROM PLT_DBOH_DATA..glco

Which record is this going to get? Do you know? The first one? Last? Which record is first? There is no order by. If there is ever more than 1 record in this table you have just randomly selected which row to use to populate your variables.

--get the Org_id

Same issue as above. Which org_id is this going to get??

Todd already gave you the code to fix this thing.

FROM Requisition REQ

Is POID the primary key for the requisition table or is there a unique constraint on that column? If either answer is no then you once again don't know which record you are going to get.

SELECT BudgetUnit,

POChartOfAccount,

'Encumbrance',

It looks like you are selecting from Requisition and using the fields from PurchaseOrder? Why does Requisition need to join to itself? There may be a reason that query needs to be that way but it looks very strange to say the least. I would investigate what that is supposed to be doing.

SUBSTRING(@PO_NUMBER + ' | ' + @VendorName,1,255)

Isn't that the same thing as using Left(@PO_NUMBER + ' | ' + @VendorName, 255)? Oh wait, you only want the first 255 characters of varchar(10) + ' | ' + varchar(40). That is at MOST 53 characters. Why bother with all the string manipulation? How about simply @PO_NUMBER + ' | ' + @VendorName

CONVERT(VARCHAR(16), '')

Talk about a waste or processing power. This is literally casting a hard coded empty string to a empty varchar(16). Look at the field to the right of this for the proper way to insert an empty string. Hint: ''

Ok now on to how you are processing this. Cursors are the worst performing construct in t-sql hands down. Well any form of RBAR (row by agonizing row) is awful. If this thing works right now I would be surprised if the output is actually correct. I would not at all be surprised if this is really REALLY slow. Start with fixing all the other issues and see how it performs. If it is still really slow lets go back and see about eradicating that **cough**cursor**cough**

• Your query that defines the cursor cleans up to this

SELECT

BudgetUnit,

POChartOfAccount,

'Encumbrance' ShortDescription,

SUM(UnitPrice * UnitsOrdered) ExtendedPrice

FROM

Requisition r

INNER JOIN

PurchaseOrder po on r.POID = po.POID

INNER JOIN

RequisitionLineItems rli ON r.RequisitionNumber = rli.RequisitionNumber

WHERE

PurchaseOrder.POID = @PO_NUMBER

GROUP BY

BudgetUnit,

POChartOfAccount

But this will only be correct if requisitions and purchase orders are a one-to-one relationship. Also, what makes these PO's define as "Encumbrance"? There is no filter in the where clause for them, so why are these different than other types?

I don't want to promote cursors, but at least we can make them right. This is unnecessary

BEGIN

BEGIN

Replace with the single clause

WHILE @@FETCH_STATUS = 0

BEGIN

______________________________________________________________________________
    How I want a drink, alcoholic of course, after the heavy lectures involving quantum mechanics.

• Hi Sean. For this segment of code, there is only one record in this table and it will be the only one every entered for this table. This is how the procedure was originally coded so I left it as is.

SELECT

FROM PLT_DBOH_DATA..glco

Same thing with this code. It only has one record in the table which represents my company. It will never be more than one record. I don't know why it was coded that way so I didn't change it because I don't know what impact it might have on the front end.

--get the Org_id

You are right. Thanks Todd.

The POID field is a foreign key constraint in the Requisition table.

FROM Requisition REQ

The reason I got the Requisition table joining itself is because two entries must be made for each record in the gltrxdet table. One entry must be made to debit an account by the AccountCode and another entry must be made to credit the expense account which is the '2700000' account.

SELECT BudgetUnit,

POChartOfAccount,

'Encumbrance',

I will change this.

SUBSTRING(@PO_NUMBER + ' | ' + @VendorName,1,255)

and this.

CONVERT(VARCHAR(16), '')

I know it is better to code this using set based processing but I don't know how yet. I will read up some more about set processing. Thanks for all your help.

Ok now on to how you are processing this. Cursors are the worst performing construct in t-sql hands down. Well any form of RBAR (row by agonizing row) is awful. If this thing works right now I would be surprised if the output is actually correct. I would not at all be surprised if this is really REALLY slow. Start with fixing all the other issues and see how it performs. If it is still really slow lets go back and see about eradicating that **cough**cursor**cough**

• This incorporates many of the changes suggested to date and replaces the cursor with a local temporary table.

@PO_NUMBER VARCHAR(10)

AS

--DECLARE @ExtendedPrice MONEY

DECLARE @date INT

--DECLARE @account VARCHAR(10)

--DECLARE @BudgetUnit VARCHAR(10)

--DECLARE @AccountCode VARCHAR(20)

--DECLARE @ShortDescription VARCHAR(16)

DECLARE @SequenceID INT

SET @SequenceID = 0

SELECT

FROM PLT_DBOH_DATA..glco

--get the Org_id

SELECT TOP 1 @org_id = org_id

FROM PLT_DBOH_DATA..smspiduser_vw spid

WHERE global_user = 1

SET @org_id = 'DBOH'

------------------------------------------------------------------

--SELECT @next_num = SUBSTRING(jrnl_ctrl_code_mask,1,12-(SELECT LEN(next_jrnl_ctrl_code) from PLT_DBOH_DATA..glnumber)) + CAST(next_jrnl_ctrl_code as varchar(16)) FROM PLT_DBOH_DATA..glnumber

SELECT @next_num = SUBSTRING(jrnl_ctrl_code_mask, 1, 12-LEN(next_jrnl_ctrl_code))

+ CAST(next_jrnl_ctrl_code AS VARCHAR(16))

FROM PLT_DBOH_DATA..glnumber

--and prepare the next

--Get julian date

SELECT

@OrderID = REQ.RequisitionNumber,

FROM Requisition REQ

--------------------------------

-- get the single matching row from Requisition into a local temporary table

-- (query from toddasd)

-- drop the temp table if it already exists

IF OBJECT_ID (N'tempdb..#Requisition') IS NOT NULL DROP TABLE #Requisition

SELECT

BudgetUnit, -- @BudgetUnit

POChartOfAccount, -- @account

ShortDescription = 'Encumbrance', -- @ShortDescription

ExtendedPrice = SUM(UnitPrice * UnitsOrdered) -- @ExtendedPrice

INTO #Requisition -- local temporary table

FROM Requisition r

INNER JOIN PurchaseOrder po

ON r.POID = po.POID

INNER JOIN RequisitionLineItems rli

ON r.RequisitionNumber = rli.RequisitionNumber

GROUP BY BudgetUnit, POChartOfAccount

-------------------------------

-- first insert into gltrxdet

INSERT INTO PLT_DBOH_DATA..gltrxdet(

journal_ctrl_num,

sequence_id,

rec_company_code,

company_id,

account_code,

[description],

document_1,

document_2,

reference_code,

balance,

nat_balance,

nat_cur_code,

rate,

posted_flag,

date_posted,

trx_type,

offset_flag,

seg1_code, seg2_code, seg3_code, seg4_code,

seq_ref_id,

balance_oper,

rate_oper,

rate_type_home,

rate_type_oper,

org_id)

SELECT

journal_ctrl_num = @next_num,

sequence_id = 1, --@SequenceID,

rec_company_code = @company_code,

company_id = @company_id,

account_code = POChartOfAccount + BudgetUnit, --@AccountCode, = @account + @BudgetUnit

[description] = @PO_NUMBER + ' | ' + @VendorName,

document_1 = ShortDescription, --@ShortDescription,

document_2 = CONVERT(VARCHAR(16), ''),

reference_code = '',

balance = ExtendedPrice, --@ExtendedPrice,

nat_balance = ExtendedPrice, --@ExtendedPrice,

nat_cur_code = 'USD',

rate = 1,

posted_flag = 0,

date_posted = 0,

trx_type = 111,

offset_flag = 0,

seg1_code = POChartOfAccount, --@Account,

seg2_code = BudgetUnit, --@BudgetUnit,

seg3_code = '',

seg4_code = '',

seq_ref_id = 0,

balance_oper = ExtendedPrice, --@ExtendedPrice,

rate_oper = 1,

rate_type_home = @rate_type_home,

rate_type_oper = @rate_type_oper,

org_id = @org_id

FROM #Requisition

-- second insert into gltrxdet

journal_ctrl_num,

sequence_id,

rec_company_code,

company_id,

account_code,

[description],

document_1,

document_2,

reference_code,

balance,

nat_balance,

nat_cur_code,

rate,

posted_flag,

date_posted,

trx_type,

offset_flag,

seq_ref_id,

balance_oper,

rate_oper,

rate_type_home,

rate_type_oper,

org_id)

SELECT

sequence_id = 2, --@SequenceID ,

account_code = '2700000',

reference_code = '',

balance = (ExtendedPrice)*-1, -- (@ExtendedPrice)*-1

nat_balance = (ExtendedPrice)*-1, -- (@ExtendedPrice)*-1

nat_cur_code = 'USD',

rate = 1,

posted_flag = 0,

date_posted = 0,

trx_type = 111,

offset_flag = 0,

seg1_code = '2700',

seg2_code = '000',

seg3_code = '',

seg4_code = '',

seq_ref_id = 0,

balance_oper = (ExtendedPrice)-1, -- (@ExtendedPrice)-1

rate_oper = 1,

org_id = @org_id

FROM #Requisition

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

/*

DECLARE CUR CURSOR FOR

SELECT

BudgetUnit,

POChartOfAccount,

'Encumbrance',

OPEN CUR

BEGIN

--INCREMENT SEQUENCE

--INCREMENT SEQUENCE

END

CLOSE CUR

DEALLOCATE CUR

*/

GO

“Write the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

• ChrisM@Work (8/18/2011)

This incorporates many of the changes suggested to date and replaces the cursor with a local temporary table.

@PO_NUMBER VARCHAR(10)

AS

--DECLARE @ExtendedPrice MONEY

DECLARE @date INT

--DECLARE @account VARCHAR(10)

--DECLARE @BudgetUnit VARCHAR(10)

--DECLARE @AccountCode VARCHAR(20)

--DECLARE @ShortDescription VARCHAR(16)

DECLARE @SequenceID INT

SET @SequenceID = 0

SELECT

FROM PLT_DBOH_DATA..glco

--get the Org_id

SELECT TOP 1 @org_id = org_id

FROM PLT_DBOH_DATA..smspiduser_vw spid

WHERE global_user = 1

SET @org_id = 'DBOH'

--SELECT @next_num = SUBSTRING(jrnl_ctrl_code_mask,1,12-(SELECT LEN(next_jrnl_ctrl_code) from PLT_DBOH_DATA..glnumber)) + CAST(next_jrnl_ctrl_code as varchar(16)) FROM PLT_DBOH_DATA..glnumber

SELECT @next_num = SUBSTRING(jrnl_ctrl_code_mask, 1, 12-LEN(next_jrnl_ctrl_code))

+ CAST(next_jrnl_ctrl_code AS VARCHAR(16))

FROM PLT_DBOH_DATA..glnumber

--and prepare the next

--Get julian date

SELECT

@OrderID = REQ.RequisitionNumber,

FROM Requisition REQ

--------------------------------

-- get the single matching row from Requisition into a local temporary table

-- (query from toddasd)

-- drop the temp table if it already exists

IF OBJECT_ID (N'tempdb..#Requisition') IS NOT NULL DROP TABLE #Requisition

SELECT

BudgetUnit, -- @BudgetUnit

POChartOfAccount, -- @account

ShortDescription = 'Encumbrance', -- @ShortDescription

ExtendedPrice = SUM(UnitPrice * UnitsOrdered) -- @ExtendedPrice

INTO #Requisition -- local temporary table

FROM Requisition r

INNER JOIN PurchaseOrder po

ON r.POID = po.POID

INNER JOIN RequisitionLineItems rli

ON r.RequisitionNumber = rli.RequisitionNumber

GROUP BY BudgetUnit, POChartOfAccount

-------------------------------

-- first insert into gltrxdet

journal_ctrl_num,

sequence_id,

rec_company_code,

company_id,

account_code,

[description],

document_1,

document_2,

reference_code,

balance,

nat_balance,

nat_cur_code,

rate,

posted_flag,

date_posted,

trx_type,

offset_flag,

seq_ref_id,

balance_oper,

rate_oper,

rate_type_home,

rate_type_oper,

org_id)

SELECT

sequence_id = 1, --@SequenceID,

account_code = POChartOfAccount + BudgetUnit, --@AccountCode, = @account + @BudgetUnit

reference_code = '',

balance = ExtendedPrice, --@ExtendedPrice,

nat_balance = ExtendedPrice, --@ExtendedPrice,

nat_cur_code = 'USD',

rate = 1,

posted_flag = 0,

date_posted = 0,

trx_type = 111,

offset_flag = 0,

seg1_code = POChartOfAccount, --@Account,

seg2_code = BudgetUnit, --@BudgetUnit,

seg3_code = '',

seg4_code = '',

seq_ref_id = 0,

balance_oper = ExtendedPrice, --@ExtendedPrice,

rate_oper = 1,

org_id = @org_id

FROM #Requisition

-- second insert into gltrxdet

journal_ctrl_num,

sequence_id,

rec_company_code,

company_id,

account_code,

[description],

document_1,

document_2,

reference_code,

balance,

nat_balance,

nat_cur_code,

rate,

posted_flag,

date_posted,

trx_type,

offset_flag,

seq_ref_id,

balance_oper,

rate_oper,

rate_type_home,

rate_type_oper,

org_id)

SELECT

sequence_id = 2, --@SequenceID ,

account_code = '2700000',

reference_code = '',

balance = (ExtendedPrice)*-1, -- (@ExtendedPrice)*-1

nat_balance = (ExtendedPrice)*-1, -- (@ExtendedPrice)*-1

nat_cur_code = 'USD',

rate = 1,

posted_flag = 0,

date_posted = 0,

trx_type = 111,

offset_flag = 0,

seg1_code = '2700',

seg2_code = '000',

seg3_code = '',

seg4_code = '',

seq_ref_id = 0,

balance_oper = (ExtendedPrice)-1, -- (@ExtendedPrice)-1

rate_oper = 1,

org_id = @org_id

FROM #Requisition

/*

DECLARE CUR CURSOR FOR

SELECT

BudgetUnit,

POChartOfAccount,

'Encumbrance',

OPEN CUR

BEGIN

--INCREMENT SEQUENCE

--INCREMENT SEQUENCE

END

CLOSE CUR

DEALLOCATE CUR

*/

GO

Might want to add a SET NOCOUNT ON. Also, does this sp need to handle any errors? What about transactional issues?

• ChrisM@Work (8/18/2011)

...This incorporates many of the changes suggested to date and replaces the cursor with a local temporary table...

Troe_atl, we still have to enclose the inserts within a transaction and introduce appropriate error handling. The transaction block will necessitate some shifting around of the code. In order to keep this as simple and helpful as possible, can I suggest that you test the code I've posted, adding any changes (suggested by Sean or toddasd) I've missed, then work on the transaction afterwords? Cheers & good luck.

“Write the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

• Hi guys. I really appreciate all of the help in optimizing this sproc. Chris, I've tested the code you submitted and everything works fine but I need the results to look like the results below. I got the following results by using the cursor in the code I posted. Notice how the sequence_id increments for each record. Also notice how the account_code doesn't get truncated and the 2700000 account number follows each account code.

journal_ctrl_num sequence_id account_code description document_1 balance

JRNL00061865 1 6100505 76023 | Staples, Inc. Encumbrance 392.8

JRNL00061865 2 2700000 76023 | Staples, Inc. Encumbrance -392.8

JRNL00061865 3 6170555 76023 | Staples, Inc. Encumbrance 568.82

JRNL00061865 4 2700000 76023 | Staples, Inc. Encumbrance -568.82

I got the following results with the code you posted. Here the sequence number doesn't increment and the account code gets truncated. I need the results to look like the results above because that's how it is viewed in the front end.

journal_ctrl_num sequence_id account_code description document_1 balance

JRNL00061866 1 6605 76023 | Staples, Inc. Encumbrance 392.8

JRNL00061866 1 6725 76023 | Staples, Inc. Encumbrance 568.82

JRNL00061866 2 2700000 76023 | Staples, Inc. Encumbrance -392.8

JRNL00061866 2 2700000 76023 | Staples, Inc. Encumbrance -568.82

• That is because the sequence numbers were hard coded in the insert that Chris wrote. I believe you want to maintain the same kind of sequence you had in the original? first insert from table1 = 1 and first insert from table2 = 2. I have an idea of how you could use the ROW_NUMBER windowed function to achieve this. Give me a few and I will toss something together.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 42 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply