Install fails because SQL is not using login account

• I am attemtpting to setup and configure WSUS on a 2008 R2 Data Center, server and utilize an exisiting instance of SQL 2008, on another 2008 R2 Data Center server, with only one forrest and one domain, which both servers are a member of.

The program appears to completely install and at the end, it attempts to create a login, on the SQL server, but instead of using the Domain Admin account that I am logged in with, it wants to use Domain\Servername$, from the server that I am installing WSUS on.

I cannot add this user as a login ahead of time, because it technically doesn't exist, physically. I have read that there may be a service on the WSUS server, that is running with credentials for a "Local System" or "Network Service" account and they suggest changing the credentials that the service uses, but I have no way of knowing which service is being used.

Here is a portion of the error I receive:

Msg 15401, Level 16, State 1, Server SQL08SRV1, Line 1

Windows NT user or group 'DOMAIN\SERVERNAME$' not found. Check the name again.Msg 15401, Level 16, State 1, Server SQL08SRV1, Line 1

Windows NT user or group 'DOMAIN\SERVERNAME$' not found. Check the name again.Msg 15410, Level 11, State 1, Server SQL08SRV1, Procedure sp_addrolemember, Line 75

User or role 'DOMAIN\SERVERNAME$' does not exist in this database.Msg 0, Level 0, State 1, Server SQL08SRV1, Procedure spSetupLogin, Line 33

Finished login creation phase. The login name is: DOMAIN\SERVERNAME$Msg 0, Level 0, State 1, Server SQL08SRV1, Procedure spSetupLogin, Line 54

Creating user...Msg 0, Level 0, State 1, Server SQL08SRV1, Procedure spSetupLogin, Line 59

Finished user creation phase. The user name is: DOMAIN\SERVERNAME$Msg 0, Level 0, State 1, Server SQL08SRV1, Procedure spSetupLogin, Line 66

The role principal ID is 5Msg 0, Level 0, State 1, Server SQL08SRV1, Procedure spSetupLogin, Line 75

SQL08SRV1 was used in place of my acutal SQL server name.

DOMAIN\SERVERNAME$ was used in place of the actual domain and servername, where I am adding the Server Role for WSUS

Any help would be appreciated

• Have you tried installing it in mixed mode, than manually adding the security at a later time using the SA id?

• Is Login (failing login name) name already set up in AD?

EnjoY!
  • You may need to add the Computer (i.e. DomainName\ComputerName$) to the Administrators group on the database server and ensure it has database access to your WSUS databases.

Additionally, ensure you have registered your SPN on the database server as this can prevent WSUS from validating via SSPI. You can do this with SETSPN.exe (you can download this from Microsoft's website if you don't have it already).

Hope this helps!

• I cannot add the Domain\Servername$, I receive an error stating that the account does not exist. I verifed the SPN is created. I am finding very little about this problem. I have a 2003 AD Domain, with both 2000 and 2003 DC's. The server hosting SQL 2008 is 2008 R2 and the server I am attempting to install the WSUS role is also a 2008 R2, server.

• Update.

I installed the Windows Internal Database, and the WSUS installs without a problem. I then took the SUSDB and moved it to my SQL 2008 server, running on 2008 R2, DataCenter. From another server, I attempted to install the WSUS role, still another 2008 R2 DataCenter, and I get the same error message about granting rights to Domain\Servername$

This must be a Schema or Rights issue on the Domain. I cannot believe that I am the only one that has ever had this problem.

Any help would be appreciated.

• Check out this link http://www.wsuswiki.com/WSUSInstallationOverview

• You are getting this message because WSUS is not running using a domain account.

One way to resolve this is to change the account used to run the WSUS service to be a domain account, and then you should be able to create the required login.

Another way would be to add the computer account to a Windows group, and add the group as a login.

Original author: https://github.com/SQL-FineBuild/Common/wiki/ 1-click install and best practice configuration of SQL Server 2019, 2017 2016, 2014, 2012, 2008 R2, 2008 and 2005.

When I give food to the poor they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor they call me a communist - Archbishop Hélder Câmara

• Ok, I got it working. The problem was caused by an earlier error message, that I received, when I first attempted the install of WSUS. Because I still have 2000 DC's, running in a 2003 AD environment, there is a patch that 2008 R2 requires, for the names to resolve correctly. See Microsoft KB976494 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976494 for more info.

I installed the patch on my virtual machines, where I was trying to install WSUS, but I never installed it on my SQL 2008 server, which is also running 2008 R2. After installing the patch on the SQL server, it intalled correctly.

Thank you all for your help.

• Glad to hear you got it working!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply