Install MSDTC on a 2005 cluster

• Hi all, I have recently started a new position and am getting to grips with the systems and what needs working on.

We have a 2 node Windows 2003 Cluster (A/P) running SQL 2005. For some reason the databases were all set up in Full Recovery, yet no log backups were ever implemented. I have tried to set up some regular log backups but when I try and do anything with the maintenance plans I get:

Method not found: 'Void Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.DatabaseMaintenance.TaskUIUtils..ctor()'

I have noticed that there is not a clustered instance of MSDTC installed and I think this is the reason for the errors I am getting when trying this (I get it on both nodes).

My question is, can I retroactively install MSDTC on the cluster without causing any problems? I have not been able to find anything related to this so thought I would ask the professionals. 🙂

Thanks for reading.

Simon

• you can, and in fact you should, install a clustered instance of MSDTC to handle any distributed transactions for the clustered SQL Server instance(s)

you'll need a unique network name, IP address and a disk resource

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• Thank you Perry, I'm good with installing it, just wasn't sure about installing after the system went live. It won't cause any issues installing after the fact then?

Thanks again for your help.

• no, it should however be installed first. In fact 2005 set up program would have flashed a warning that no clustered msdtc app was present

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• yeah, this was installed before my time (just started last month), one of those 'let's go and see what's out there......oh crap' situations.

Thanks for the help, very much appreciated. 🙂

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply