Install on Windows 2003

• A friend of mine is trying to install SQL Server 2000 on a Windows 2003 Enterprise machine. He is getting a message that states "SQL Server 2000 SP2 and below is not supported by this version of Windows.". Has anyone encountered this yet? It is not even allowing him to install the base and then apply SP3. Yet there is no combined SQL2K + SP3 install... Cart before the horse...

Tim C //Will code for food

• This is the only thing I was able to find:

http://www.microsoft.com/sql/howtobuy/windowsnetsupport.asp

-SQLBill

• It appears to me that you first upgrade/install SQL Server 2000 SP 3 and THEN upgrade to Windows 2003.

-SQLBill

• LMAO, that kinda stinks when you just want to install 2K3 base without upgrading. Usually given a choice - base or upgrade, I always opt for the base install. Thanks Bill, I will pass it on.

• I found this kb article, hope it helps

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=815431

• Thanks for the info. I am testing a copy I got and was going to install Windows 2003 and try SQL 2K this weekend.

• Let me know what you find out Antares, this is a sticky point for me as well as my friend. We do NOT like to do upgrades. IMHO that would be a horrible solution to this. Having to buy a 2K license for a new sql server box in addition to the 2K3 license would also put a crimp in the budget.

• I wonder how feasible it would be to install the sql server 2000 eval edition (which I seem to remember Microsoft patched to sp3), then upgrade the server to the full package using Q281574

Steven

• I ended up out of town on the weekend and didn't get a chance. I will see if I can get a chance today and try plain and then Eval to Upgrade to see what happens.

• For what it's worth, just throw this one in - I have just installed RC 2 of .NET Server Enterprise Edition, and although it isn't production, I have developer edition SQL Server installed on top, no problem, with SP3 installed last.

Can't help any further than that. Had no problems whatsoever.

• If the install of Win2003 is a clean install then, all you have to do is ignore the message about SP2, click 'CONTINUE' to proceed with the install, then apply SP2 or SP3 to SQL2K afterwards and everything will work fine.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply