Install SQL 2005 & can't connect

• I don't see what I miss, everything when fine during the install but when I try to go in I keep receiving: TITLE: Connect to Server

------------------------------

Cannot connect to AFDCCFTEST.

------------------------------

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server) (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 2)

The instatnce name is correct & it's configure to allow remote connections.

• Firstly, check the SQL Server error logs by directly opening the file in the install LOG directory. Find if you have any errors there.

Now to some basic questions.

1) Is this a named instance or default? check the SQL Server configuration manager and see what is the name in () brackets besides the 'SQL Server' service.

If this is a named instance then the name inside the brackets will not say MSSQLSERVER.

If so then what is the name/format you are using to connect to the instance in Management studio.

2) Are you using Windows login to connect? If yes, then are you using the same login to connect as the one that you used to install? If no then did you grant the current login any SA privileges.

3) Are you connecting remotely or on the local machine?

Blog
    http://saveadba.blogspot.com/

• Make sure named pipes is enabled. That and install any SP's.

Mark

• You wouldn't happen to have windows firewall running preventing access?

--------------------------------------------------
    ...0.05 points per day since registration... slowly crawl up to 1 pt per day hopefully 😀

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply