Install sql server 2005 64bit

• Hi all,

I tried to install MS SQL Server 2005, 64 bit on Windows Server 2008. During installation, I can only see two features to install. That is:

Client components and Documentation and sample databases.

Is there a reason why I ca not see the other features. It's quite new to me not see these features during installation.

I was wondering if anyone came across such problemmes and what the causes for these problem were.

Thanks indeed

Niyala

• Hi

Is there SQL server installed on that machine, if yes then the option will be disabled, if not then select the option to install SQL server database Services and click on next to install. 🙂

• Hi,

No SQL was installed before. I am installing a new one. And yet, can not find the anything else in the list except for client components and documentation as well as sample databases.

Thanks

Niyala

• Hi Niyala

How are you installing your SQL, are you using a DVD, what edition of Windows you have 32 bit or 64??:)

• Thanks.

I am installing SQL Server 2005 64 bit on windows server 2008 64 bit. I have got the installation files in a directory on the local machine on which I would like to install SQL Server 2005. All files are located in a single directory. All I had to do was to click on setup and continue following the installation procedures on the wizard. But when it comes to the choice of features to be installed the parts are missing. Quite new to me.

Niyala

• I don't remember the options screen, have you checked under Advanced Options?

MJ

• Thanks.

Before, I go to advanced options and choose sub-components of a feature, I should be able to see the features. That is my problem. All I see is client components and Docus. Nothing more. If I see all features, I can decide, say for instance, whether or not I would like to instal some of them. I can not see them at all.

Niyala

• Hi Niyala

This sounds strange, i will check my installation and let you know 🙂

• First to eliminate the easy stuff; Are you sure you're using 64bit Windows? Is perhaps your installation media for Itanium not x64?

Do you get an error/screen during the install saying that you already have SQL Server installed, and the upgrade checkbox is greyed out? Look through Add/Remove programs and look for SQL Express or any other version of MSSQL. Try uninstalling if possible, or try your install with the /SKUUPGRADE=1 switch.

just some guesses.

-Ken

• This sounds like you only have the client tools media in your install folder. Alternatively, if both the server and tools media were copied to the same folder then the tools media was copied last and overwrote the files that allow you to install the server components.

If you copy the media from DVD you need to keep the same folder structure you have on the DVD. If you copy from CD, then do one of the following...

a) Copy the Tools media to the install folder, followed by the server media.

b) Copy the Tools media to a \Tools sub-folder, and the server media to a \Server sub-folder, to give the same results as copying from a DVD.

Original author: https://github.com/SQL-FineBuild/Common/wiki/ 1-click install and best practice configuration of SQL Server 2019, 2017 2016, 2014, 2012, 2008 R2, 2008 and 2005.

When I give food to the poor they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor they call me a communist - Archbishop Hélder Câmara

• Hi,

Your message was very helpful! It could get me going further.

Kind regards

Niyala

• Hi,

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think SQL Server 2005 comes in 2 cds, the 2nd cd holds client tools. You might want to look for your CD again otherwise just download a new copy of iso from msn and you should be good to go.

Sopheap

• Thanks all.

I had the same problem. I was coping the two Cds the same paste. I just separated the pastes and it worked.

• Hi Niyala,

do u get any SQL Server Edition Operation System Compatibility warning during System Configuration Check screen ?

• Hi List,

I solved this problem long ago.

Many thanks indeed.

Niyala

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply