Install SQL Server 2005 Cluster on 1 node only

• Hi experts,

Q: I would like to install SQL Server 2005 on one node and other node SQL Server 2000.

Description:

Currently, I have a cluster setup with active/active nodes on SQL Server 2000. I would like to change this and make one of the nodes to be SQL Server 2005 (other node will stay as it is). I know this is possible, but I would like to know if someone has tried. Also, which step I should take so while installing both nodes would not get upgrade. According to my little knowledge, I would follow following steps

1) uninstall SQL Server 2000 from the node I want to install SQL Server 2000 (I would detach db from server before)

2) install SQL Server 2005 on the same node

3) Done

Easy, isnโ€™t it?!?!? :w00t: ๐Ÿ˜‰

Any help will be appreciated.

Always grateful to read your inputs to this form. Thanks

• Impossible to do. A single virtual server can host only one instance, regardless of version. You can reassign disk resources from a decommissioned instance to a new instance to recover the lost resources.

• You are saying, Node 1 SQL Server 2000 and Node 2 SQL Server 2005 is not possible? Thanks for reply

• If you install SQL Server 2000 from one of the nodes, you can install a SQL Server 2005 instance to it.

Make sure you have your domain groups created ahead of time, however. This isn't something you needed with SQL Server 2000 clustering but you have to have for SQL Server 2005 clustering.

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply