installing 2005 and 2008 on same server

• Hi Folks,

can you install 2005 and 2008 instances on the same server without a problem?

also

if I install sql server developer can I install SSMS and Business Studio (client tools) on as many machines as I like without breaking licencing

• I've got SQL Server 2000, 2005 and 2008 running on one machine along with three different copies of Express. All with no issues.

My understanding is that you can install Management Studio where you want, although I'm not sure of the Business Studio (which is Visual Studio and that's licensed differently) is the same.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Hi

Running SQL 2005 and 2008 on the same machine hasn't given me any problems but if you install Business Intelligence Development Studio from 2008 after 2005 the package depolyment wizard is upgraded to the 2008 one. This means that you can't deploy SSIS packages to the 2005 installation.

It might be that I messed up somewhere during installation though but I don't think I did.

Regards

Christo

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply