Installing 7.0 on Win2K w/Mobile Pentium 4

• I am trying to install MSS 7.0 on a brand new laptop. When installing the standard or developer edition, the install gets to the very end where it is trying to start the service. At this point it errors out with a timeout error. (1460 I believe) This is something I do often and have never had this problem before. The only unusual thing I can think is that this is a new Mobile Pentium processor.

Any ideas what could be causing this error?

• Any info messages from the log error of the instalation?

• May be the insatllation is corrupt or some dll might not be properly installed. try to reinstall sql server. Did have this problem couple of times with new pc's.

• Unfortunately, all the errorlog says is that it got a stop request from the Service Control Mgr. The cnfgsvr.out says that the service started successfully, the dbs created, and the service stopped.. It then tries to start the service again and it fails with "An error occurred while attempting to start the service (1460)"

I have tried Dev Ed & Standard Ed. I re-downloaded the Dev Ed from the MSDN site and tried it. None of them work.

I can load the OLAP services for 7.0 and I can load MSS2k. (I removed it after I installed it so I could keep trying 7.0)

My goal here is to have both 7.0 and 2K on the same laptop. Therefore, my understanding is that I have to have 7.0 installed first.

• Look for the sql.log file in the temp directory. The install writes out a lot of information to it's logfile and the answer may be in there.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply