Installing MSDE only

• Hello SQLers.

I have a small problem. I would like to install only the MSDE engine on a PC and I am writing a program that will read and write to a database. However, I have not found a way to create several logins to the MSDE as well as the databse name so that I can create an ODBC file appropriately. Does anyone have suggestions? I need to make an install that is transparent to the end user and I would not want them to have to install a full version of SQL server and have to manually create the passwords and the database. I was reading that there is an INI file for MSDE when installing that might do this but I have not been able to duplicate it appropriately.

The program I am using is not important because I am only using it to read and write information to and from the database. I am grateful for any suggestions.

Thank you.

Juan R Tomasino

• If you want to create an "installation" CD for your users, you can try to use a ".bat" file which installs the MSDE and then run .sql scripts useing OSQL.

for example, in the MSDE installation folder create "install.bat" contaning:

setup.exe SECURITYMODE=SQL SAPWD="mypass" TARGETDIR="C:\program files\MSDE\" /L*v %systemroot%\MSDELog.log DISABLENETWORKPROTOCOLS=0

(DISABLENETWORKPROTOCOLS=0 means that msde can be accessed from the network (if you need that)).

and then,

osql.exe -U sa -P "mypass"  -i .\scripts\CreateUsers.sql

if you want to use a named instance, look for the relavant parameters.

hope this will help you.

yoav S.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply