Installing Service Pack 4 Without Restarting?

• Does anyone know the trick to installing SP4 without having to bounce the entire server?

The release notes suggest that if you stop the below services before applying SP4, then a restart should not be necessary. However, this did not work on the one server I have already upgraded.

-Microsoft Distributed Transaction Coordinator (DTC) and the Microsoft Search service

-The MSSQLServer and SQLServerAgent services for the instance being upgraded

-Microsoft Component Services, Microsoft Message Queuing, and Microsoft COM Transaction Integrator.

Thank you,

Mike Chabot

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• I've always rebooted after any MS service pack (SQL or Windows) whether they say to or not. It's served me well ... call it a 'best practice' ...

RegardsRudy KomacsarSenior Database Administrator"Ave Caesar! - Morituri te salutamus."

• What happened when you didn't reboot?

Find a problem a few months later when you have to reboot?

• Yes Remi, in the past I have run into 'issues' (problems) that after calls to MS support the first thing recommended was reboot and 'issues' have gone away. Also, I'm old school too starting with SQL v4.2 on NT 3.5 ... So I've got a bit of history both with the product and with MS.

RegardsRudy KomacsarSenior Database Administrator"Ave Caesar! - Morituri te salutamus."

• I installed the service pack on six computers. Updating MSDE on my XP box and updating a Windows 2003 server did not require a restart. All four Windows 2000 servers required a restart.

• It does not update the MDAC on XP & 2003 machines. I would guess the MDAC is in use so it had to re-boot to replace some files.

Tim S

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply