Installing SQL Reporting Service on two SQL Instances

• Great problem this one.

We have a dual instance SQL Server, one instance for development, and the other for training and rollout.

We only have one IIS box which hosts two sets of intranet pages, one for development, the other for training and rollout purposes.

The problem is that we currently have SQLRS configures to work against the developer instance of SQL Server.  What ideally we need, for the training and rollout side of things, is effectively a second instance of the SQLRS installed on the test SQL database, and a second repository of reports on the IIS server, but using a different subdirectory.

For example, developers connect to the database server DEVSERVE/DEVELOPMENT and their reports are at devweb/reports and devweb/reportserver

and the testing/rollout connects to the database server DEVSERVE/STAGING and their reports are at devweb/stagingreports and devweb/stagingreportserver

---------------------------------------
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
    It is by the Beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed,
    the hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• I dont' believe you can install a second instance of Reporting Services (it is after all only one windows service).

However, try creating two folders, one to represent development, one for training and rollout. You can then create a Data Source in each folder (one for dev, one for training), name them the same thing. Make your reports use the shated Data Source name.

Then develop your reports in the development folder, with the development data source. If your data source name is the same for both, you just need to upload the report to training when you are ready.

Julian Kuiters
    juliankuiters.id.au

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply