Installing SQL Server 2005 on a clustering environment

• Hi,

I am assigned to a project to install sql server 2005 in a clustered environment. The operating system is windows 2003 and the MSCS is already installed on both the cldb01anet and cldb01bnet. This is a Active/Passive environment

My approach towards the install was as follows:-

1. Signed in as a domain administrator to the virtual server name "cldb01net".

2. Installed SQL Server 2005 onto  the shared D drive which is shared by both the A side and the B side. Of course the Quorom drive (Q) is also installed.

3. Created a test db on sql server 2005

4. Restored from backup file onto test db

5. Backed up the test db

Questions

========

1. When I start the cluster administrator, I can see the shared drives but

I do not see the services such as "sql server network name",

" sql server agent" etc. Where did I go wrong?

2. After analysis, I found that sql server 2005 is installed on the A side of the

Server in shared D drive. When I failover to the B side, I am not able to see

SQL Server 2005. What do I need to install on the failover side?

Quick response on this is much appreciated.

Thanks

Murali

• Are you sure that installed Clustered SQL Server?

Please refer

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=818234dc-a17b-4f09-b282-c6830fead499&displaylang=en

• It sounds like you have installed a local instance rather than a Clustered instance. In SQL Install you need to check the box for "Create a SQL Server failover Cluster" on the COMPONENTS TO INSTALL window. It's easy to miss.

• Yes, you are right. I did uninstall the single instance.

I compared one of our other installations and here are the changes what I made.

1. Created 2 fileshares for installing the datafiles on the shared drives for both

the servers.

2. I moved the shared physical disk to another cluster group so that this can

be defined exclusively.

I am stuck on the install when it asks for the services to start:

SQL SERVER

SQL SERVER AGENT

SQL SERVER FULL TEXT SEARCH

The requirement is to provide the <network>/<domain name>.

I tried to provide the <network>/<domain name> but it says it cannot find it!!!

I did review the docs but nothing is clear.

Anybody come across this situation?

Thx

Murali

• You need to use DOMAIN/USER_NAME. So if your domain is "TestDomain" and your user is SQLAdmin you would enter

TestDomain\SQLAdmin

Hopefully you have already created seperate domain accounts for SQL and the cluster with the appropriate permissions. Each user need to be a local admin, but they do not need to be a domain admin

• Yes, you are absolutely right. The Admin user is a domain administrator and the domain is standard. To be a local admin, I added the domain administrator

login to local users and groups on group "Administrator". Is that right?

Murali

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply