Installing SQL Server 2005 on Windows 2003 having SQL Server 2000

• Hi

I need to install SQL Server 2005 on Windows 2003 Server. I already have a default instance of SQL Server 2000 installed in it. The server has 3GB RAM and 35GB of Hard Disk space. Shall I install this as a default instance or should I install it as a named instance?

For client access, do I need to install SQL Server Management Studio in all the required client machines? Is it possible to access the SQL Server 2005 through the SQL Query Analyser in 2000?

Thanks is advance

Sathish

S A T ...
    Sathish's Blog

• 1 named

2 no

3 yes

• Probably a little more information in the answers might be helpful.

1)  Installing SQL Server 2005 as the default instance will upgrade your SQL Server 2000 default instance.  If that is not desired, install SQL2k5 as a new named instance.

2)  Clients do not need SQL Server management studio, only SQL administrators.  However,  I am not sure if SQL Server 2005 requires a minimum MDAC version to be installed.  To be safe, I might suggest that clients are using MDAC 2.61 or greater (as prior versions had security issues).

3)  Yes, you can use SQL QA 2000 to access SQL Server 2005, but only from another server.  I believe that if you install SQL Server 2005 on the same server as SQL Server 2000, even if in another instance, it will replace and upgrade your SQL Server 2000 Enterprise Manager and QA to SQL Server 2005 Management Studio.  You can do everything for SQL Server 2000 from the SQL Server 2005 MS.

Hope this helps

Mark

• Thanks Joseph & Mark

This will really help me to proceed further.

S A T ...
    Sathish's Blog

• Just a followup on item 2):  According to Breaking Changes to Database Engine Features in SQL Server 2005 , clients using MDAC versions prior to 2.6 cannot connect to named instances of SQL Server 2005.  So you should make sure that clients use MDAC version 2.6 or higher.

Mark

• >3)  Yes, you can use SQL QA 2000 to access SQL Server 2005, but only from another server. I believe that if you install SQL Server 2005 on the same server as SQL Server 2000, even if in another instance, it will replace and upgrade your SQL Server 2000 Enterprise Manager and QA to SQL Server 2005 Management Studio. <

This restriction does not apply. It works well on the same server. Neither is EM upgraded, as long as you choose a different named instance.

_/_/_/ paramind _/_/_/

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply