Installing SQL Server 2008 management tools on SQL Server 2005

• My company will "soon" be upgrading to SQL Server 2008 from 2005; however, in the meantime we would like to install the 2008 management tools on 2005. Has anyone done this before? Can it be done? Is it problematic? One of the things we want is the functionality of IntelliSense so that we don't need to continue paying to use the software we're currently using.

Thanks!

• I've installed just the management tools before and not had a problem.

I don't remember if the intellisense will work on a SQL 2005 database or not, but it shouldn't hurt to try.

The Redneck DBA

• Thank you!

• You can manage 2005 servers from the 2008 interface (and 2000 servers, not 7.0 or 6.5).

Intellisense will only work on 2008 instances. Sorry.

Check out Red Gate's SQL Prompt. I use it all the time.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Thanks. We actually have SQL Prompt but would like to stop paying for it. We have 2008 and do intend to upgrade sooner than later; however, until we're ready we hoped we could at least use the tools. Guess not!

• When you try Intellisense you will find that it is not as robust as SQL Prompt. Of course that is opinion but you should still check it out prior to getting rid of SQL Prompt.

David

@SQLTentmaker

“He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose” - Jim Elliot

• I agree. SQL Prompt works better in lots of ways. That's before we talk about formatting your code for you... Woo Hoo!

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Has SQLPrompt improved in the past several years? I tried a free trial of it 3 or 4 years ago. It worked pretty good, but I found it to be a bit of a resource hog and slow my PC down.

With that in mind, when I was in databases that I knew inside and out I found it annoying and turned it off. When I was working in datbases that I sorta knew but didn't necessarily have all the table/field/view/sp/etc. names totally memorized, it was handy enough to justify the slow-down.

The Redneck DBA

• I personally have turned it off. It locks up my PC too much, and formats things in ways I don't want them formatted (I'm pretty particular about how I capitalize, etc.). My manager turns hers off and on, because while she likes its functionality, it also locks up her PC quite often. My heart wouldn't break if we get rid of it.

• I don't actually run it either for a couple of reasons but it is more robust than intellisense. Due to the size of our environment I really can't use it as there are some databases that when I connect to them it comes to a screeching halt so, off it went, never to return....

David

@SQLTentmaker

“He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose” - Jim Elliot

• I guess I'm lucky. I've only had it lock up the system once. You guys ought to post your experiences over at the Red Gate forums. They'd be interested to know that people are not using the tool.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply