Installing SQL Server 7.0

• I am trying to install SQL Server 7.0 on NT4 with SP6a. The install runs until it tries to attach to the database then fails to attach. Checking the log file says SQL server not found. It appears that SQL is not starting. Having done the install many times before I suspect that it is NT that is the problem, but what can I look for? I have tried installing the services using both the system and administrator accounts with no luck. Any Ideas?

Short of installing on a different server which is not available at the moment or rebuilding the existing server which is going to be painful and disruptive I've run out of ideas?

• 1st. Rule, the login account need to be domain account and that account belong to  administrators group on that particular server.

2nd.  Now that you have already install sql 7, let's uninstall it.  Reboot the server, and if it does not clean out the directory, you can delete the leftover stuff in that directory.

3rd. Reinstall sql 7,reboot, service pack, reboot, and other hot fix,reboot, so that it is the same sql version as what ever database that you plan to restore/attach from.

4th.  I personally like backup restore option then attach because it insure that I have a clean backup nomatter what.

mom

• I do not have a SQL-server installation on the server at all and trying to install one fails and then cleans up after itself and doesn't leave anything to delete, clean up, or uninstall etc!

• If that's the case start installing sql server from the server consol instead of using terminal service to connect to it.  Make sure to reboot your server before you start.

mom

• Tried all that originally. Still doesn't work!

• can you tell us why it says that the sql server is not starting? i have seen something like this with sql 2000 but before i comment I would like to see some text from the log file.

• Here is the text from the log file:

Starting Service ...

Connecting to Server ...

driver={sql server};server=.;UID=sa;PWD=;database=master

[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][Named Pipes]Specified SQL server not found.

[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][Named Pipes]ConnectionOpen (CreateFile()).

driver={sql server};server=.;UID=sa;PWD=;database=master

driver={sql server};server=SERVER;UID=sa;PWD=;database=master

SQL Server configuration failed.

• Where are you installing your data files?

There might a problem with NTFS file permissions if you are placing master on a different drive.

Clean up everything - folders, registry, path and try installing to the default C:\MSSQL folder.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply