Installing SQL Server on c drive

• The GAC being what it is - you won't be able to do much about that. That being said - you theoretically CAN avoid all other C: drive usage by installing it as a one-node cluster. Of course - that will introduce an altogether different set of requirements onto the server. It's a bit like hitting a moskito using a 155mm Howitzer (will get the job done - just messy as all hell).

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

• Matt Miller (3/24/2008)

It's a bit like hitting a moskito using a 155mm Howitzer...

Hmmmm... might have to trade in the ol' slingshot... bet it works real good with porkchops...:D

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Any suggestions?

This is much a company procedure issue as a permissions issue.

Draft a note about prohibiting the restore of databases to C:, and get a high-level manager to issue it. If the relevant staff know their boss's boss will sit on them if they restore to C:, it might discourage them from doing it.

Work with your Windows admin people to set up appropriate permissions to make it easy to restore outside of C:, and hard to restore on to C:.

Original author: https://github.com/SQL-FineBuild/Common/wiki/ 1-click install and best practice configuration of SQL Server 2019, 2017 2016, 2014, 2012, 2008 R2, 2008 and 2005.

When I give food to the poor they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor they call me a communist - Archbishop Hélder Câmara

• "Work with your Windows admin people to set up appropriate permissions to make it easy to restore outside of C:, and hard to restore on to C:."

Thanks my problem. I need to find out how to restrict C: drive access without killing SQL Server.

• Jeff Moden (3/24/2008)

Matt Miller (3/24/2008)

It's a bit like hitting a moskito using a 155mm Howitzer...

Hmmmm... might have to trade in the ol' slingshot... bet it works real good with porkchops...:D

yup - especially if they're frozen!

I remember seeing a demo with them using those. wicked stuff. The Colonel in charge finished the presentation by mentioning that they were going to have to go back and adjust the topographical maps again (since they had likely taken another foot or two off of the top of this hill they were pounding on).

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

• If they are admins, you can strip away permissions, but typically administrators have access to everything. The multiple layers of security required to make this work wouldn't be very feasible. It's better to attack this from a procedural perspective.

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

• EdVassie (3/14/2008)

My take is that if the Windows admins want it moved for existing installs, they need to show the costs, downtime, risks and benefits involved in the move. If presented with this information, most managers (even some pointy-haired ones) would say leave SQL where it is until the server needs to be rebuilt - the benefits are not worth the hassle of the move.

Agreed. Because when you do the cost comparison, they aren't likely to have a leg to stand on. I'm all for standards. That's part of what I do. But sometimes you have to "grandfather" something in when it's not worth it to rebuild it. In this case they aren't likely to have a solid argument. If they do, well, then that says it all, right?

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

• Heh... sure... Just ask Al Gore... he "built the internet" and he's a grandfather :P:P:P

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Jeff Moden (3/25/2008)

Heh... sure... Just ask Al Gore... he "built the internet" and he's a grandfather :P:P:P

If any lawmaker has a right to claim it, he does. I remember back in the 80s when he was running for the Democratic nomination there was a magazine article (Time, I believe) that covered the legislation and the initiatives he helped champion. While that's not what he said (and it has been continually taken out of context), the point is he supported an idea most others in DC weren't paying attention to which we're all benefiting from today.

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply