Installing SSRS on a 2 node active-active cluster

• Hi,

Could anyone tell me how to install SSRS 2005 on 2 node active-active cluster? Unfortunately, our environment doesn't support Reporting servers farm? Could you please give me some detailed steps, if there is any other way to install repoting services on the cluster?

Thank you,

Yours

SQLNewbie

• Even though the RS databases do failover with the SQL Server service, the Reporting Services service is not cluster aware. So, you would have to install Reporting Services on each node.

It's sort of ghetto, but it seems to be what everyone is doing in this scenario, unless of course I have been living in a hole and am ignorant to a better solution. This is certainly possible.

A.J.
    DBA with an attitude

• Hi A.J

Thank you very much for your reply.

Could you please explain me about the failover scenario in this case.

Also, should we have the same instance name on the second node bcs SSRS is instance specific? This is very confusing to me.

Thank you,

Yours

SQLNewbie.

• Reporting Services is not instance specific. You point it to whatever instance you want in the RS Config.

Say for example SERVER1\InstanceA has the ReportServer and ReportServerTempDB databases and this instance is running on NODE1. The Reporting Services service is also running on NODE1, but is NOT a cluster resource since it's not cluster aware.

Say NODE1 catches fire and a failover to NODE2 of the cluster takes place.

Now, SERVER1\InstanceA with the ReportServer and ReportServerTempDB databases are running on NODE2, but there is no Reporting Services service running here, unless you separately installed Reporting Services on NODE2, and when you configured it you pointed in to the ReportServer and ReportServerTempDB databases on SERVER1\InstanceA.

Dig?

A.J.
    DBA with an attitude

• Hi Kiran,

A.J. is right. The method which A.J. metioned is good. There is another method which is mentioned at below blog.

http://blogs.msdn.com/mariae/archive/2009/04/01/reporting-services-resilience-recommendations.aspx

Regards

Gurpreet Sethi

• Hi AJ,

Thank you very much for your detailed answer.

But could you please clarify these questions also?

Is this process you have explained for the Active/Passive Configuration? Could you please give at least an outline of steps for installing or configuring SSRS on a Active/Active cluster?

Also, suppose Node1 failed due to some reason and we have configured the Reporting services service on the Node 2 to point to the ReportServer and ReportServerTempDB databases that belong to SERVER1\InstanceA, what happens to the actual ReportServer and ReportServerTempDB databases that were being pointed by the instance on Node2?

Thank you,

Yours

SQL Newbie

• Hi Gurpreet,

Thank you very much for your help and also for directing me to that very useful link.

Best Regards,

Kiran

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply