Installing with settings.ini

• Hello,

I found one of the nice features of sql server is the ability to setup a templates.ini file with all your settings in it to install your instance of SQL Server.  However, I'm getting issues doing this.  I seem to always get the error:

"Invalid INI File. Please make sure this file exists, have access and has the correct entries."

Now, i've gone through the default template.ini file multiple times and looked on MSDN.  I can't seem to find any help in trouble shooting this error message.  Below is my current file (password blanked out of course):

; Ryan Slimmon - April 23, 2007

; Custom Software Solution Inc.

; This is the default template file for SQL Server Express installs, this should help us not having to go through the setup everytime.

;***---***---***---***---***---***---***---***---***---***---***---***---***---***---***---***---***---***---***---***---***---***---***

[Options]

; Leave this blank, the defaults for the server should be used

; USERNAME=User

; COMPANYNAME="Custom Software Solutions Inc."

ADDLOCAL=SQL_Engine,SQL_Data_Files

INSTANCENAME=SQLEXPRESS

SQLBROWSERAUTOSTART=1

SQLAUTOSTART=1

SECURITYMODE=SQL

SAPWD=***************

DISABLENETWORKPROTOCOLS=0

ERRORREPORTING=1

SQMREPORTING=1

ENABLERANU=1

ADDUSERASADMIN=1

SQLCOLLATION=SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS

Now I've tried setting all the settings I can think of, even the ones that say if they aren't specified, the server will use the default (i.e. The install directories). I've used the undocumented "LOGFILE" command and built a XML file and went through and did a GUI install to see if I'm missing anything and everything is there.  The only setting I can't set is the "PIDKEY", which is my product key.  For sql express, you don't need a product key and the template file says that it "not required" for the express edition.

Can anyone tell me what setting I'm missing to create a valid "settings" file? I'm at a loss and am ready to beat my head against a wall.

If this helps, i'm testing this on:

- WinXP SP2 (Fully Patched)

- Using SQL Express SP2 Install

- DotNet Framework 1.1 & 2.0

- Office XP is installed

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks,

Ryan

• I am getting the same error all the time using a .INI file. So far have not found any clue...

• Not only you have same issue...I' ve spent three hours today to resolve this...But unfortunetely there is no progress...

• Hey, looks like I found solution...Stupied bu works

instead <CD or DVD Drive>\Setup.exe /settings C:/set.ini /qn

use:

<CD or DVD Drive>\Setup.exe /settings C:\set.ini /qn

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply