Instance count

• How to find out the number of instances installed in a sql server 2000

• shanila_minnu (6/30/2011)

How to find out the number of instances installed in a sql server 2000

Just to clarify, number of instances installed in a sql server 2000 is kind of misleading. Instances are installed in Windows, not in SQL Server. Each SQL Server instance has its own Database Engine service associated with it in Windows.

To find the number of SQL 2000 instances installed in a given installation of Windows you can check the list of Windows Services. Here is a table showing all the service names associated with the various versions of SQL Server:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/fort_sql/archive/2010/05/31/list-of-sql-server-service-names.aspx

I hope that helps.

There are no special teachers of virtue, because virtue is taught by the whole community.
    --Plato

• shanila_minnu (6/30/2011)

How to find out the number of instances installed in a sql server 2000

...or check the Registry looking for registerd instances like:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\Instance Names\SQL] "InstanceName"="MSSQL10_50"

Each installed instance has one [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\Instance Names\SQL] entry.

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at Amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.
  • I wonder if he is referring to databases and is coming from the Oracle world where a database is an instance.

in that case, query sysdatabases.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply