Intellisense in SSMS 2008

• I convinced my boss to greenlight an upgrade to SQL 2008 for a number of reasons, one of which is developer productivity improvements, including Intellisense.

After using it for several days of straight coding, I am not real happy with Intellisense. It just feels like a rough implementation that could have been much better. I also code in C#, and let me tell you Intellisense is an absolute dream in that context; MUCH better than in SSMS 2008.

But my big problem is that for some reason the autocomplete menu does not appear anymore. I start typing a table or variable name, and it does not give me a list of options. And yes, Intellisense is turned on in Options and on the toolbar.

Code outlining and error underlining are working, but no autocomplete menu, and no yellow tool tips. When I put my cursor over something in a UDF I am building right now, I get "CREATE FUNCTION is currently not supported in Transact-SQL Intellisense".

Anyone else have this problem?

• OK, just now found the options under Edit>Intellisense. After rebuilding the local cache, it seems to be working again.

But, my overall analysis still stands. This implementation of Intellisense is the roughest I've ever seen over a range of MS tools. Unreliable and incomplete, IMHO.

• It only works if you're connected to a SQL 2008 server. If you're connected to any lower version, intellisense is disabled

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster (9/2/2008)

It only works if you're connected to a SQL 2008 server. If you're connected to any lower version, intellisense is disabled

Which functions as a very good advertising tool for Red Gate's SQL Prompt.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Exactly what I'm using.

It's a pity. I want to like the 2008 intellisense, but it's irritating me. I can't find a way to change what triggers an auto complete, leading to absurdities like I got last night doing some testing (the table in question has 4 columns: A, B, C, D)

select ABS, BCPCOLLATIONNAME, CAST, db_accessadmin from dbo.Test4

In SQLPrompt I have autocomplete only on <enter>, so I can type without what I'm typing getting replaced automatically, but easy to select if I do. Maybe I've missed something in Management studio's implementation. I hope so. Currently it feels like version 0.5.

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• I think Tab is the autocomplete trigger key in SSMS 2008. It's such a muscle memory thing for me that I'm not totally sure.

Edit:

Oh, sorry, now I understand what you mean.

• When I tested SQL Prompt, I liked it - but, I did not like the price or the fact that it only works for SQL Server. I also have to support additional systems (Oracle, DB2, MySQL, etc...) so I was really looking for a tool that would work with all of them.

I found a tool called SQL Assistant from Softtree (http://www.softtree.com/sqlassist/index.shtml) that works with multiple systems (even works with SQL Plus). It is not quite as polished as SQL Prompt - but does work very well (and the price is something I could deal with).

Jeffrey Williams
    Problems are opportunities brilliantly disguised as insurmountable obstacles.

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

• I can identify with all of the issues listed in this thread, as I've gone through much the same. I'm mainly writing C#/TSQL as well, and switching over to SSMS from Visual Studio always makes me groan. I'm also mainly working against SQL 2000 databases, so the intellisense in SSMS 2008 is really a non-feature for me. Judging by this here connect suggestion there are a lot of others who feel the same:

https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=341872&wa=wsignin1.0

Anyways, a coworker mentioned that she used to use a product called TOAD from Quest that was quite good. I've been using the beta 2.0 version of the 'Toad for Data Analysis' product for the last couple of days and I'm quite impressed. It's got code completion that works against multiple back-ends (SQL Server, Oracle, Access, MySQL, etc), it's priced just a little higher than SQL Prompt and is a full-fledged suite of tools, not just a plugin. I'd definitely recommend trying the beta 2.0 version over the 'stable' 1.1.x version that you can get a trial of though - it won't time out until Nov, and you don't have to hand over your contact details to Quest's sales-sharks (I think they we're calling me before I even hit the submit button!):

http://www.toadworld.com/DevTeam/ToadforDataAnalysis/tabid/186/Default.aspx

• One of the first problems I noticed with IntelliSense in 2008 is after altering a table. It doesn't display new columns in the drop-down and keeps underlining the newer columns as non-existing when I just type them in. There must be a way to get IntelliSense to update its internal data structures that contain the layout of a table, but I have searched the documentation and so far haven't found it.

Tomm Carr
    --
    Version Normal Form -- http://groups.google.com/group/vrdbms

• Tomm Carr (9/8/2008)

There must be a way to get IntelliSense to update its internal data structures that contain the layout of a table, but I have searched the documentation and so far haven't found it.

Edit -> Intellisense -> Rebuild local cache (Ctrl-Shift-R)

Gail Shaw

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply