Intermediate T-SQL Book Recommendation

• I have taken the beginner T-SQL course.   I would like to purchase a very good intermediate T-SQL book.  Can anyone recommend a good book?  I would like the book to take me from joining tables(Left, Join, Inner Joins, Joins from different databases) to writing stored procedures. I have purchased some books, only to be disappointed later.

Thanks

• Try Joe Celko's "SQL For Smarties" or Ken Henderson's "The Guru's Guide to Transact-SQL".

Both are excellent!!

• Celko's book is more for the mensa crowd. Certainly good brain teasers, but I doubt practical use in T-SQL. Computations of the median, for example, do not need to be several pages long. Same direction goes Henderson as he seems to be influenced by Celko. I really like Moreau, Ben-Gan: Advanced T-SQL programming.

...but that's just me.

--
    Frank Kalis
    Microsoft SQL Server MVP
    Webmaster: http://www.insidesql.org/blogs
    My blog: http://www.insidesql.org/blogs/frankkalis/[/url]

• The two I keep on my desk, and are full of sticky notes because they are so good:

Henderson's Guru book mentioned above

O'Reilly Transact-SQL Programming

[font="Courier New"]ZenDada[/font]

• And for stored procedures:

SQL Server 2000 Stored Procedures Handbook by Wrox

SQL Server 2000 Programming by Wrox

• "SQL Server 2000 Stored Procedures Handbook by Wrox"

I'll second that!  I think Apress publishes that title now.

http://www.bookpool.com/.x/3knc9knhmn/sm/1590592875

Greg

• Another book you may want to look at is Programming Microsoft SQL Server 2000 with Microsoft Visual Basic .NET by Rick Dobson.  MS Press published it.  This book gives you a pretty solid intro in 4-5 chapters on how to use T-SQL in the areas that you requested.  Then, it goes into how to program SQL Server with VB.NET, including how to use the T-SQL that you learned about in the earlier chapters. 

• Every friend I have introduced to Ken Henderson's "The Guru's Guide to Transact-SQL" has liked it and recommended it onto someone else.

An absolute definite.

------------------------------
    The Users are always right - when I'm not wrong!

• I have been a SQL DBA and Programmer for around 10 years. I have come across several books, most of which are in essence a rehash of what is in the books on online (BOL), or contained some esoteric information with no practical value. Henderson's 'Transact SQL Guru's Guide' is the only book, that almost felt like he knew what I did not know and wrote just for me. I am almost amazed that just one person wrote that book. I have read about 80 % of the book and found volumes of extremely useful information. Though some of the examples he chose may sound  very outlandish, but the techniques he uses will have practical uses for any programmer who wants to master SQL (and TSQL). One of the very few books worth your money and more importantly your time. I think  when reading books, you invest more in terms of time than money. Unfortunately, I have not read any other books mentioned here, either by Celko or from Wrox. I must confess though, I have a bias against Wrox, with their not so elegant eiditing style or any computer book that exceeds ~500 pages.

• SQL Server 2000 Programming by Robert Vieira from Wrox and

Ken Henderson's "The Guru's Guide to Transact-SQL" are probably the best.

• Is The Guru's Guide to Transact-SQL for beginners or should i read BOL?  I've not looked at it yet but if that is all i need then i will start there.

I was wondering if any SQL book would do but from the book I've already purchased it says that SQL server2000 0nly understands T-SQL. So i guess it makes no sense buying some other type of SQL book even though i don't see many good yet brief beginner's books on T-SQL.

What do you think? 

• BOL is a searchable reference - it doesn't read like a book.

Wrox SQL Server 2000 Programming is the best place to start.  Yes, it's a big book.  You might only use the first 631 pages.  But it's still the best place to start.  Once you understand the syntax, buy the Guru book.  This book will actually teach you how to do your job as a developer. 

• About 3 years ago, as fair as I remember, I ran accross the book 'SQL Server queries for Dummies'. Dark blue color. Don't quote me on that name, but the book was much smaller then Wrox SQL Server 2000 Programming book and it was explaining how to design, structure, build queries, subqueries etc. If you don't know where to start designing sound queries you might want to invistigate further on that book.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply