Intermittent backup failures SQLLitespeed x64

• I've run out of options so I'm putting it out to the community for a solution. The error message is;

BackupMedium::ReportIoError: write failure on backup device 'VDI_0AF26571-DF14-4572-88BE-4E2097AA25C5_0'. Operating system error 64(The specified network name is no longer available.).

We're backing up the database to a network share. If you dont like that then sorry, but that's the way it is. this wasn't a problem in the previous platform, so we can rule out the idea of backing up to local disk and copying the file there. We're running sqllitespeed x64 and the database is 1.1TB and the backup file is just over 300GB. A successful run takes about 3.5 hours.

I dont think it is a network error... certainly not connectivity. I've thoroughly tested this and everything is intact. this is what I've found/checked;

NICS are not dropping packets; Happens on both nodes of the cluster; ran a ping test for duration of the backup - all ok. Ran netmon and didn't notice anything. so I think that the network error is generic/erroneous.

I did make a change that fixed the Mrxsmb error 50 and that was to change the WINS settings from default to "Use NetBIOS over TCP/IP"

this has started occuring since we moved from x86 to x64. new hardware and SAN. the environment is win2k3 r2 enterprise and sql2005 enterprise all native 64 bit.

This is the clue... the problem occurs at the same time... 42mins and 30 seconds into the backup. there isn't anything else running that is causing this to fail at this time - remember it is intermittent so it does run successfully.

any ideas?

• Does it happen at 42 minutes and 30 seconds no matter when you run it?  Could you say move the backup 30 minutes and see if that moves the time the error happen?  If so I would suggest something on the network/servers are causing it.

Quest not have any ideas for what might cause it?  Normally though Error 64 means there was some sort of network hiccup, which wouldn't be all that strange if a backup takes 3.5 hours (although I have been places they take much longer than that without a problem).

• I did move the time last night and it ran successfully. Will wait a few more days and see if it fails again.

Because the event log reports network issue, Quest do not believe it is a problem with their product, therfore their response is that they cannot help. This only happened since moving to x64. They have had issues with the x64 version of litespeed but we have the latest version installed.

cheers.

• Are you using version 4.8? If so, there is a known problem with Litespeed backups over 4GB resulting in a similar error. They released a hotfix and a new version to address it.

• Yes, I know about that bug. It affects restores.

The latest patch has been applied.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply