Interview question

• Hi

I attended one interview, and interviewer asked me : How SQL Server 2008 reduces DBAs work load ?

What features added in SQL Server 2008 that reduce DBAs work load ?

Thanks in advance.

• I guess things like Central Management Servers, Policy Based Management etc.

Infact, this article from SQL CAT is pretty good:

http://sqlcat.com/top10lists/archive/2009/01/30/top-10-sql-server-2008-features-for-the-database-administrator-dba.aspx

• How to reduce the workload? Shoot the users? No, probably not.

You actually can't "reduce" the workload. What you can do is make the workload more efficient through design, construction & tuning. You can also spread the workload to various servers & disks, again, by thinking through the design & construction of your systems. But none of this actually reduces the workload.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• IN SQL Server 2008.

1) Backup encryption is possible.

2) Data compression and Resource governor.

3) Installation improvements. Disk images and service pack uninstall options.

4) TDE(transparent Data Encryption) Ability to encrypt entire database.

• srinath.vanama (8/9/2011)

IN SQL Server 2008.

1) Backup encryption is possible.

2) Data compression and Resource governor.

3) Installation improvements. Disk images and service pack uninstall options.

4) TDE(transparent Data Encryption) Ability to encrypt entire database.

I have to ask, how does encryption change the workload of the system or the dba?

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• if you are taking a backup of the database it compress and encrypts the database. so that it reduces the workload on DBA.

• I get why compression could be said to reduce the DBAs workload. I'm just trying to figure out how encryption does that.

• Data and backup compression eleviate space concerns on the servers. Policy management provides an easy way to determine is a server is compliant with organizational policies. On the T-SQL side, the predictive text input can be a help, especially with variables (if you declare a lot of them). TDE is easier than using a third party's software to encrypt data

/* ----------------------------- */
    Tochter aus Elysium, Wir betreten feuertrunken, Himmlische, dein Heiligtum!

• Activity Monitor,Audit, Backup Compression, Central Management Servers,Data Collector and Management Data Warehouse, Policy-Based Management, Predictable Performance and Concurrency, Resource Governor, Transparent Data Encryption (TDE)

• Thanks all for answers.

• Subjective Adapts (8/9/2011)

Activity Monitor,Audit, Backup Compression, Central Management Servers,Data Collector and Management Data Warehouse, Policy-Based Management, Predictable Performance and Concurrency, Resource Governor, Transparent Data Encryption (TDE)

As far as i know except Backup compression all other features you mentioned here are available only in Enterprise Edition and updwards. However one very good feature what i like about SQL 2008 CLIENT is that i could just use one query to pull metadata across all my servers. I just love this feature, made my life so easy.

• Backup compression is enterprise only (on 2008)

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Grant Fritchey (8/9/2011)

I get why compression could be said to reduce the DBAs workload. I'm just trying to figure out how encryption does that.

If anything, I see it increasing the workload.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Backup Compression is in Standard Edition with R2

/* ----------------------------- */
    Tochter aus Elysium, Wir betreten feuertrunken, Himmlische, dein Heiligtum!

• GilaMonster (8/9/2011)

Backup compression is enterprise only (on 2008)

Sorry,..I meant SQL 2008 R2

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply