Interview Questions

• Luis Cazares (6/7/2016)

Jeff Moden (6/7/2016)

Luis Cazares (6/7/2016)

Try this:

SELECT sys.fn_get_folder(path, 1)

Absolutely the correct answer! πŸ˜› Well, except for the Hungarian notation used. :hehe:

That's the MS standard. πŸ˜€

MS has a standard? When did that happen?

• Luis Cazares (6/7/2016)

Was I too late for April fools' day?

This is what happens when you trust a forum to answer questions that you should answer on your own.

I could have given a real answer, but this is an example of the reasons behind my disclaimer. I wouldn't want someone that uses something without at least understanding how it works or at least point to some documentation for it.

If I was interviewing this person, I wouldn't mind if the answer is incorrect as long as it demonstrates knowledge on string manipulation and creativity to solve problems.

I personally would put string manipulation using T-SQL in the same category as programming a row-by-row cursor; I don't consider it to a core competency for a T-SQL developer. I'd ask questions about joining, grouping, ranking, indexing, isolation, and execution plans before I would test someone's knowledge about string manipulation, but then again I'm typically sitting in on a panel interview and can only ask maybe a half dozen questions. So I typically bypass the Programming 101 stuff and zoom in on what I really expect from senior level database developer.

It's a good topic for a forum discussion, I'm just saying it's not a good interview question within the context of a SQL Server Developer/DBA position.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• Eric M Russell (6/7/2016)

So I typically bypass the Programming 101 stuff and zoom in on what I really expect from senior level database developer.

I do expect Senior level Database Developers to be able to do simple string manipulations even if they're a rocket scientist on other things.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Ed Wagner (6/7/2016)

Luis Cazares (6/7/2016)

Jeff Moden (6/7/2016)

Luis Cazares (6/7/2016)

Try this:

Absolutely the correct answer! πŸ˜› Well, except for the Hungarian notation used. :hehe:

Now you understand what the standard actually is. πŸ˜‰

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• Jeff Moden (6/7/2016)

Ed Wagner (6/7/2016)

Luis Cazares (6/7/2016)

Jeff Moden (6/7/2016)

Luis Cazares (6/7/2016)

Try this:

Now you understand what the standard actually is. πŸ˜‰

Which one - the inconsistent naming conventions or the slowness of new functionality?

• Jeff Moden (6/7/2016)

Eric M Russell (6/7/2016)

So I typically bypass the Programming 101 stuff and zoom in on what I really expect from senior level database developer.

I do expect Senior level Database Developers to be able to do simple string manipulations even if they're a rocket scientist on other things.

Yeah, but basically anyone can do simple string manipulation; that's like a 7th grade homework assignment. I'd rather have a candidate explain to me why they wouldn't do string manipulation in a stored procedure. Then I feel comfortable having them code behind me.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• Jeff Moden (6/7/2016)

They're asking the wrong type of questions for a job interview.

I think it's a great question. It shows whether or not you actually know much about string manipulation. It's not a difficult question and, once I know if someone can actually get the current date and time (something like 80% have failed that simple question), then I move on to things like this. Both DBAs and Developers need to know simple stuff like this.

I actually used that in our last round of interviews. "Can you state one way you might get the current system time using t-sql?". This was a developer position but we do all of our own queries. Out of about 20 we had one person who gave the very shocked and nervous "getdate?".

The other I like to ask is "what are some steps we can use to prevent sql injection". I got the most creative answer ever recently. After sitting there in obvious pain and being totally silent for nearly two full minutes (no exaggeration) the interviewee stated something to the effect of "we can leverage sql injection to improve the performance". :w00t:

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Modens splitter http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Tally+Table/72993/.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL/63681/
    Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Crosstab/65048/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69953/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69954/

Jeff Moden (6/7/2016)

Yeah, but basically anyone can do simple string manipulation; that's like a 7th grade homework assignment. I'd rather have a candidate explain to me why they wouldn't do string manipulation in a stored procedure. Then I feel comfortable having them code behind me.

Evidently not. I'd say this would make a pretty decent phone interview question.

β€œWrite the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

• ChrisM@Work (6/7/2016)

Sean Lange (6/7/2016)

Luis Cazares (6/7/2016)

Try this:

LOL that is hilarious Luis. And it seems to have fooled Lowell and Chris too. That is too funny.

Haven't you got one of these Sean?

ALTER FUNCTION dbo.fn_get_folder

(@path VARCHAR(255), @Element TINYINT)

RETURNS TABLE

AS

RETURN (

SELECT Element = NULLIF(SUBSTRING(@path, MIN(n)+1, MAX(n)-MIN(n)),'')

FROM (

SELECT

n, Item = ROW_NUMBER() OVER(ORDER BY (SELECT NULL))

FROM (

SELECT n = 0

UNION ALL

SELECT n

FROM (

SELECT TOP(LEN(@path)) n = ROW_NUMBER() OVER(ORDER BY (SELECT NULL))

FROM (VALUES (0),(0),(0),(0),(0),(0),(0),(0),(0),(0),(0),(0),(0),(0),(0),(0)) t1 (n),

(VALUES (0),(0),(0),(0),(0),(0),(0),(0),(0),(0),(0),(0),(0),(0),(0),(0)) t2 (n)

) _tally

WHERE SUBSTRING(@path,n,1) = '\'

UNION ALL

SELECT n = LEN(@path)

) p

) q

WHERE Item = @Element OR Item = @Element+1

)

GO

SELECT Element FROM dbo.fn_get_folder ('c:\Programmefiles\Dicument\file1.txt',1)

I do now!!! 😎

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Modens splitter http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Tally+Table/72993/.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL/63681/
    Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Crosstab/65048/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69953/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69954/

• Sean Lange (6/7/2016)

ChrisM@Work (6/7/2016)

Sean Lange (6/7/2016)

Luis Cazares (6/7/2016)

Try this:

LOL that is hilarious Luis. And it seems to have fooled Lowell and Chris too. That is too funny.

RETURNS TABLE

AS

RETURN (

FROM (

SELECT

FROM (

SELECT n = 0

UNION ALL

SELECT n

FROM (

FROM (VALUES (0),(0),(0),(0),(0),(0),(0),(0),(0),(0),(0),(0),(0),(0),(0),(0)) t1 (n),

) _tally

UNION ALL

SELECT n = LEN(@path)

) p

) q

)

GO

SELECT Element FROM dbo.fn_get_folder ('c:\Programmefiles\Dicument\file1.txt',1)

I do now!!! 😎

"Try before you buy" πŸ˜€

β€œWrite the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

• ChrisM@Work (6/7/2016)

Sean Lange (6/7/2016)

ChrisM@Work (6/7/2016)

Sean Lange (6/7/2016)

Luis Cazares (6/7/2016)

Try this:

RETURNS TABLE

AS

RETURN (

FROM (

SELECT

FROM (

SELECT n = 0

UNION ALL

SELECT n

FROM (

) _tally

UNION ALL

SELECT n = LEN(@path)

) p

) q

)

GO

I do now!!! 😎

"Try before you buy" πŸ˜€

Already in production. As someone once said, "I don't often test my code, but when I do, I test in production.". πŸ˜‰

• ChrisM@Work (6/7/2016)

Jeff Moden (6/7/2016)

Evidently not. I'd say this would make a pretty decent phone interview question.

For an online pre-interview test with 50 questions, something that the recruiter or HR requires the candidate to pass before the first interview is scheduled, then it's worth adding to the stack. However, if a candidate can't explain locking and isolation, or explain why referecning a function in a WHERE clause is a bad idea, or explain how a the GROUP BY..HAVING.. clause can be used to identify duplicate rows, then I couldn't care less about how proficient they are with string manipulation. In an interview, I don't bother with the pop-question stuff and instead focus on starting a two-way discussion about best practice topics that matter big picture; the type of stuff that can make or break or database server.

Luis Cazares (6/7/2016)

Was I too late for April fools' day?

This is what happens when you trust a forum to answer questions that you should answer on your own.

I could have given a real answer, but this is an example of the reasons behind my disclaimer. I wouldn't want someone that uses something without at least understanding how it works or at least point to some documentation for it.

If I was interviewing this person, I wouldn't mind if the answer is incorrect as long as it demonstrates knowledge on string manipulation and creativity to solve problems.

I personally would put string manipulation using T-SQL in the same category as programming a row-by-row cursor; I don't consider it to a core competency for a T-SQL developer. I'd ask questions about joining, grouping, ranking, indexing, isolation, and execution plans before I would test someone's knowledge about string manipulation, but then again I'm typically sitting in on a panel interview and can only ask maybe a half dozen questions. So I typically bypass the Programming 101 stuff and zoom in on what I really expect from senior level database developer.

It's a good topic for a forum discussion, I'm just saying it's not a good interview question within the context of a SQL Server Developer/DBA position.

I'd say it depends on what type of data you are working with in the database. Our main product has a lot of character/string data since it is a "reporting" database. Think intelligence and operational data generated from a combat environment. Not a lot of numeric data except where you are count kia/wia/mia numbers.

ChrisM@Work (6/7/2016)

Jeff Moden (6/7/2016)

For an online pre-interview test with 50 questions, something that the recruiter or HR requires the candidate to pass before the first interview is scheduled, then it's worth adding to the stack. However, if a candidate can't explain locking and isolation, or explain why referecning a function in a WHERE clause is a bad idea, or explain how a the GROUP BY..HAVING.. clause can be used to identify duplicate rows, then I couldn't care less about how proficient they are with string manipulation. In an interview, I don't bother with the pop-question stuff and instead focus on starting a two-way discussion about best practice topics that matter big picture; the type of stuff that can make or break or database server.

Yep agreed on all that... right along with simple string manipulation. πŸ˜‰

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

Jeff Moden (6/7/2016)

Apparently, not such an easy question for the OP. πŸ˜‰

So, you do no string manipulation in any of your stored procedures whatsoever?

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 111 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply