Invalid string or buffer length!!!!

• I am reading a text file into a temptable, then opening a cursor to read through the temptable.

When i execute my procedure from SQL server, all is fine, but when i do it throught another application that calls the procedure, i get the error:

ODBC Driver -  S1090  -

Invalid string or buffer length

i really dunno how to solve that especially that when i run it alone it works!

declare

@oneline varchar(8000)

CREATE

TABLE #textfile (line varchar(8000))

BULK INSERT #textfile FROM 'D:\websites\neolane\www\Import\init_newsl.txt'

DECLARE table_cursor CURSOR FOR SELECT line FROM #textfile

OPEN table_cursor

FETCH NEXT FROM table_cursor INTO @oneline

IF (@@FETCH_STATUS = -1)

-- my code

END

...... help please!!!!

• What is the driver you are using? I would review this first.

• the thing is that I am executing the procedure through an application that automatically connects, and I cannot choose the connection type...

Does that mean a dead end???

• Right, but if you know what driver the connection is using you can find out if it is the driver has a bug or an updated version then update the driver or procedure accordingly.

• what i did is that i changed the way of calling the procedure from

Go

exec dbname..sp_importNewsletter

Go

to

use dbname

Go

exec sp_importNewsletter

Go

apparently the user in the application is not a dbo. The previous error is gone but another one appeared saying that i cannot use BULK INSERT

so now i have to know how to give the right to that user to use bulk insert while i dont even know what user it is!!! arghhhhh

• On a side not I would also review using "sp_" when writing user procedures as far as a small cost in performance with contect switching, proc cache hit ratio, etc...

• well am not very pro in that, i didn't quiet understand what u mean by not using sp_

what would that change in the fact that the user doesnt have the right to execute that command throught the application

• you can see what user is executing the sp using sql profiler. Set that up then run the app find the user and give it bcp rights

www.sql-library.com[/url]

• This article talks about sp_ and procedure cache and the impact.

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/bkelley/procedurecache.asp

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply